Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Thanks a lot chaps, all very helpfull, I've been thinking along the same lines. Point to point is probably beyond me, vero board possibly if I had a proven layout. The ebay clones are a dilemma as I'm sure the Pass design is released in a 'not for profit' spirit.
I have nothing against Chinese stuff per se but the cloning of current commercial designs is off limits for me. As the diyaudio store seems to be the 'official vendor' of the boards and kits it could be argued that the kit is a current commercial design albeit in kit form.
I built an F5 many moons ago with very nice Peter Daniels boards. At the time there was nothing like it available in the diyaudio store and I can't imagine Peter made any profit from it so there was no issue for me.
If anyone in the know can clarify the legitimacy of these ebay boards it would be really useful.

This will be about the 20th diyaudio based project I have undertaken in the last 14 years. I have always been amazed at the levels of help I have received in this time and yesterday was no exception when a member offered me some boards so that I can get the project under way, amazing!
The unique selling point for me of the ACA over other FirstWatt designs is the small form factor of the cases. Modern media TV units won't take a full size FirstWatt amp but a pair of ACAs in a monoblock style is perfect, I can now have Class A in my TV room.
(not everyone wants a room like Steve Guttenburg!!)

Lucky you! I have only class D amp hooked up to the TV. I was playing with the idea of using ACA there but that might be too many boxes for SWMBO.

Don't knock Class D!! It might be heresy on this forum but properly implemented they deserve to be taken very seriously, tiny form factor a great bonus. If you haven't already, get your tape measure out and see how small the 2U ACA case is then you get SWMBO involved by suggesting new furniture for the ACA to live in, easy!!

Just checking back in with the result.
200VA transformer went out along with rectifiers and caps and in went a cheap £10 smps of 24v 5a and no more buzzing.
Dead quiet background.

It stings a bit but it's the result that counts :)

Attachments

• P_20210304_183316.jpg
    P_20210304_183316.jpg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 322