Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Similar bricks are available elsewhere as well, I think it is important to get one with a 3 prong grounded plug. In my experience, it reduces noise and 60 Hz hum plus it is safer. I see them for $12 online - not sure what everyone else's experience is with 3 prong vs 2 prong cords. The negative out is connected to earth ground.

Last edited:
For these bricks, the 3rd prong is there to reduce EMI/EMC noise and not relied upon for safety, even though it it connected to the 0Vdc this 3rd prong won't protect the user in the event of this bricks malfunction. If you do get a brick make sure it is a certified type like CSA, UL, TUV type this way your house won't catch on fire.

p.s. CE mark does not mean much as far as safety is concern, it is a self declaration so any manufacturer can claim that their product are safe...long story short don't buy a brick with only CE marking.

Rgds,
Eric

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The CE mark may be self-proclaimed, but a reputable multi-national manufacturer (HP, IBM, Sony, Lenovo, Matsushita, etc.) will only declare this after the product has passed CE directives for safety such as the "Low Voltage Directive (LVD) 2006/95/EC". Passing these tests and paying for the tests is very expensive. So expensive that many smaller manufacturers cannot afford to offer their product in certain EU nations where the CE cert if required due to the prohibitive cost. There is a $12 19V 4.65 amp brick from HP with CE, UL, CSA cert. I would think that this is safer than a 2 prong one, and lower EMI/EMC noise.

Does anyone know where I can find TO-247 mica insulators, preferably at Digikey (a product number?)? I'm trying to navigate there and I keep running into dead-ends or bulk options. I only need 4 mica insulators, not 3,000. Again, I'm getting ready to place an order at Digikey and would prefer to have it in this order, not to have to pay $5+ shipping elsewhere for 4 insulators.

Just about to order the kit from store :0

Have a newb question - How critical is it to have a thermal pad between TO-247/220 and heatsink? I noticed guys in other threads are just applying cpu thermal paste and not going the thermal pad route. I thought I read somewhere that without it it could be easier to shock/static ?

Thanks

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The latest ACA kits already have the best- Keratherm Red. Much better specs than Silpads. They are also costly, but we want the kit to be easy and high quality. Look in the second list: "Hardware"

http://www.diyaudio.com/store/amplifier-kits/amp-camp-kit-6/amp-camp-kit.html

There's a reference to "insulators and grease" but that's a mistake. Yes there are insulators, the Keratherms, but no grease as grease shouldn't be used with the Keratherm product.

If you're just looking for the insulators the first batch of Keratherm insulators sold out quickly, but there is another order in process..
Parts

Last edited: