Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM   #4881
sarathssca is offline sarathssca  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar88 View Post
Doesn't look like PCB's from diyAudio store, so probably not ACA cases from the store either.
ya its not from diyaudio store ..
yet to decide about the case.. will see about the case after the whole amp is up and running well.. thinking to put the preamp also in the same case..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post
Not ok. Use a single twisted pair for each RCA input (hot and return), remove the shielding.

Use a separate "figure 8" cable for speaker output, do not run input twisted pair wiring and the "figure 8" wiring in parallel.

The bigger the contact area - the better. There's around 3amps of the constant current draw from both PCB's... this requires (very) large contact area.
what is "figure 8" cable..
means we should not use same cat6 cable for both input and output (different pairs on the single cat6 cable)?

Regarding the power supply connection wouldn't the laptop socket as in my earlier post's picture work , as we are using the laptop power supply only ??
Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM   #4882
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathssca View Post
Regarding the power supply connection wouldn't the laptop socket as in my earlier post's picture work , as we are using the laptop power supply only ??

The laptop socket will work. But keep the power cable separate from the in/output cables.

And also keep the input cables separate from the output cables. Each + and - output cable should be thicker than Cat-6 single or even double strand. I heard a big improvement in soundstage quality when I upgraded from single strand Cat-5 to 4-strand Cat-5 speaker cables (4 Strands for + and 4 strands for -). I used the mixed colors for - and solid colors for +, all in a single Cat-5. Sounds great!
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM   #4883
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The laptop socket will work. But keep the power cable separate from the in/output cables.

And also keep the input cables separate from the output cables. Each + and - output cable should be thicker than Cat-6 single or even double strand. I heard a big improvement in soundstage quality when I upgraded from single strand Cat-5 to 4-strand Cat-5 speaker cables (4 Strands for + and 4 strands for -). I used the mixed colors for - and solid colors for +, all in a single Cat-5. Sounds great!
does "4-strand Cat-5 speaker cables" means the output cables from amp output to speaker terminals?

ya power cable is different from signal input/output cables.. for power i have used little thicker copper cable and for signal (+/-) input/output i have used one pair of twisted pairs inside a single cat-6 ethernet cable

4 cables (inside one cat-6) will be too thick to put into the pcb holes i think for input.. for output we have multiple holes for +/- output on this pcb..
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM   #4884
semmyroundel is offline semmyroundel  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Amp Camp Amp doubling up?

Hi all, I can't seem to find what this means on the above amp build, could someone explain that to me please?

"Just solder a few more wires to turn it into a single-ended or fully balanced monoblock with twice the power of the standard ACA!"

I've built a T class amp and a chip amp, but was attracted to the class A designation and simplicity of this amp but wondered if there was a way of getting more power.
Regards to all.
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #4885
diyAudio Member

Quote:
does "4-strand Cat-5 speaker cables" means the output cables from amp output to speaker terminals?
Yes

Quote:
4 cables (inside one cat-6) will be too thick to put into the pcb holes i think for input.. for output we have multiple holes for +/- output on this pcb..
One Cat-6 strand is fine for input cables. For output you need thicker or multiple Cat-6 strands from PCB to RCA socket - if that is what you're using.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM   #4886
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes

One Cat-6 strand is fine for input cables. For output you need thicker or multiple Cat-6 strands from PCB to RCA socket - if that is what you're using.
ya currently have cat-6 cable's, 2 strands (ie. 1 twisted pair) for input positive and 2 strands for input negative. and 2 strands for output positive and 2 strands for output negative, from the same cat-6 cable used for inputs.
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM   #4887
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ya currently have cat-6 cable's, 2 strands (ie. 1 twisted pair) for input positive and 2 strands for input negative. and 2 strands for output positive and 2 strands for output negative, from the same cat-6 cable used for inputs.

I would keep input and output separate. For what reason do you want input and output in one Cat-6 cable?

Maybe more experienced audio people can chime in here and point out the drawbacks of having input and output together. To me it just sounds wrong.
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM   #4888
Mixi is offline Mixi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
For RCA style connections in chassis I like Mogami W2381, it's super flexible, terminates beautifully, quiet, easy to use, inexpensive, and sounds great.

Mogami W2381 Black Coaxial Cable, 50 Ohm (By the Foot) | Performance Audio
Talking about cables. Is there a reason you prefer Mogami W2381 over other cables with similar construction? I'm asking because the W2381 seems to be particularly hard to find - in Europe at least.

For example W2314 seems to be more readily available.
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #4889
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would keep input and output separate. For what reason do you want input and output in one Cat-6 cable?

Maybe more experienced audio people can chime in here and point out the drawbacks of having input and output together. To me it just sounds wrong.
Initially i have taken out the separate twisted pair strands from the cat-6 cable and thought to use them independently for each input and output points..
later thought may be if i could use the whole cat-6 cable instead of taking the individual strands out as it looked more protected and secure inside, when used cat-6 cable as a whole.. so as we had 4 pairs available i used used one cat-6 cable for each channel (mono block)..

So shall i take individual twisted pairs from the cat-6 cable outside and twist 4 strands together and out of those 4 strands use 2 for input positive and other 2 for input negative.
And similarly take another 4 strands and twist them together and out of those 4, use 2 strands for output positive and 2 for output negative (so here all will be individual wires without outer protection layers as in whole cat-6 cable)?
Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM   #4890
RafaPolit is offline RafaPolit  Ecuador
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by semmyroundel View Post
Hi all, I can't seem to find what this means on the above amp build, could someone explain that to me please?

"Just solder a few more wires to turn it into a single-ended or fully balanced monoblock with twice the power of the standard ACA!"

I've built a T class amp and a chip amp, but was attracted to the class A designation and simplicity of this amp but wondered if there was a way of getting more power.
Regards to all.
This makes reference to the fact that you can build either a stereo amp, or evolve it into Monoblock, be it balanced through an XLR connector, or balanced through a small 'jumper' cable with resistance that you build.

The options are:
- Stereo RCAs, one channel to each channel (default build)
- Mono Balanced XLR where one cable from the XLR feeds one channel and the other cable (the inverted signal) feeds the other channel. This requires an XLR connector and soldering a few cables to from the XLR chassis connector to the RCA chassis connectors and the ground to the common ground. This produces a twice-the-power AMP with even less distortion due to the balanced configuration
- Mono RCA which requires a 'jumper' cable from the output of one channel to the input of the other. This produces a mono amp with twice the power, but hasn't the advantage of the balanced design.

All the instructions as to how to achieve this are nicely detailed and photographed here:
ACA V1.5 Illustrated Build Guide

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!