Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2018, 02:23 PM   #4751
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Like this:
How to attach images to your posts.
Old 30th June 2018, 03:01 PM   #4752
kstagger is offline kstagger  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71castle View Post
What balanced pre-amp did you purchase if you don't mind being asked? thanks.
I chickened out and didn't do a DIY build, instead I bought a used Classe Five (the successor to the DR-5). It's quiet and is built like a battleship.
Old 30th June 2018, 03:23 PM   #4753
sr71castle is offline sr71castle  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, battleships are great builds.........LOL... Will look up the Classe Five
Old 30th June 2018, 03:36 PM   #4754
diyAudio Member

OOPS, Don't know how to upload a url link for pictures in a folder on my pc. Oh well........Tried copy and paste into url but no good either. Sorry..[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the tip. Here are pictures.

Each Red LED is indication of both 24VDC power supplies are active. Each are 24VDC 5A output. Blue LED is indication of manually switched on cooling fan. It is very quiet. Will shorten amphenol cable later. Not sure of grounding to eventual other chassis with the ampcamp boards installed. Interconnect does have a ground wire connected to this chassis and would assume need to attach to to other chassis somewhere. DC negative is not common to anything yet. Should it be? Should it also be tied to earth ground also? At work we tie dc negative to ground to use to calibrate pressure switches using voltage and not having to disconnect the wires to us ohms to make or break the switch. I assume the same can be said for using dc common to ground is OK? Class D for DC supply should not care, right? thanks and you all have a great weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180621_190037901_HDR.jpg (163.6 KB, 460 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180621_190049064.jpg (200.6 KB, 450 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180621_190059753.jpg (151.6 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180621_190115319.jpg (143.6 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180621_191331073.jpg (217.1 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180621_191336074.jpg (217.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180621_191353276.jpg (275.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180621_191359181.jpg (178.7 KB, 125 views)
Old 30th June 2018, 07:10 PM   #4755
propitious is offline propitious  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
To sr71castle:
That is a nice PS build there. I have a few suggestions. From the IEC 120VAC connector on the back plate, you have both the white wire (Ground or Neutral) and the green wire (Grounding or Earth Ground) connected together at the chassis. There is a reason they are not connected at the plug. Disconnect the white (ground) wires from the chassis. I assume you are using some SMPS that has separate 120 VAC inputs for A and B outputs. If it makes you feel better, you can run an earth ground through the Amphenol and connect to the chassis of the amp, but not to the amp input ground or amp power ground. Next time you will want to have the black wire from the IEC go first to a fuse before going to anything else like the switch (not critical right now). I am not sure what you mean in that sentence containing "calibrate pressure switches", but No, do not connect the 24 VDC negative to earth ground or AC power ground. Unless the SMPS instructions say the 24 VDC - output connection is referenced to earth ground, you cannot assume it. There is nothing to gain by doing that. Have fun with the amp build and please post more pics of the finished amp.
Old 30th June 2018, 10:08 PM   #4756
diyAudio Member

Unless the SMPS instructions say the 24 VDC - output connection is referenced to earth ground, you cannot assume it. There is nothing to gain by doing that. Have fun with the amp build and please post more pics of the finished amp. quoted from propitious...

Propitious thanks for the tips. What does not show in the picture is that the IEC has a fuse built into it so has some protection right off the bat. Then each PS has its own fuse. and each fuse is in series with either PS A or B. When you say SMPS that is what caught my eye about not grounding - and correcting my wrong idea about the PS negative DC end.

At work our 24DC volts is standard with lead acid battery backup. Years ago they had us ground the 24DC - By doing this we can read 24 volts to ground at the switch 200 feet out in the field to calibrate it when seeing the voltage drop out when setpoint is reached. Easier than removing both 24 + and - and using the Ohms setting to see the microswitch make and break. Glad you pointed out

Having seen all kinds of ideas of earth ground and chassis ground rules/ ideas etc I went with the copper washer with copper wire to make it common. I also did not know that anodized aluminum does not conduct electricity. So for what I thought for safety went with the copper washer as common and to try to not have all kinds of ground loops??.
Thanks again for the tips.
Old 1st July 2018, 03:34 PM   #4757
6sX7 is offline 6sX7  United States
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried biamping Linkwitz's LX-mini with a pair of ACAs? I've found very little on forums in regards to the pairing which may be for good reason.
Old 1st July 2018, 04:28 PM   #4758
avesbilal is offline avesbilal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sX7 View Post
Has anyone tried biamping Linkwitz's LX-mini with a pair of ACAs? I've found very little on forums in regards to the pairing which may be for good reason.
I tried using ACA for the high frequency drivers in LXmini and PeeCeeBee V3 amp for the woofer, however these drivers are no very efficient. I don't think ACA can drive LXmini.

Thought one can still use ACA to drive LXmini but not at it's full potential.

Regards
Bilal
Old 1st July 2018, 05:20 PM   #4759
6sX7 is offline 6sX7  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input. With the low sensitivity, heavy DSP eq'ing and low wattage, figured it might not be a good match but I'm trying to find an inexpensive speaker kit to run on the ACAs I ordered. Might try it anyways just as an experiment.
Old 1st July 2018, 08:31 PM   #4760
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

IINM, Tom Christiansen owns a pair of LXMinis which he drives with a four channel build of one of his LM3886 designs. As delightful sounding an amp as the ACA is, and hopefully there will soon be some field reports of them operating in bridged mode, they'll not likely to deliver sufficient power to demonstrate the full dynamic capability of the LX Minis.

Horses for courses.

I'd think what would make an "appropriate" speaker (kit) for a single ACA would very much depend on the room and your anticipated listening levels and program material.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!