Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM   #4461
Dennis Hui is offline Dennis Hui  Canada
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHN View Post
Before I make my final decision, I would also like to know if there is a more powerful (20-50 W) stereo amp kit, also with similar guide by 6L6 or someone else that I can build.
Not complete kits, but plenty of amp projects with excellent build guides by 6L6:

Aleph J illustrated build guide
F6 Illustrated Build Guide
F5Turbo Illustrated Build Guide
An illustrated guide to building an F5
A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier.
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #4462
SHN is offline SHN  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hui View Post
Many thanks for the links. Which one of those are fully balanced? The F5 looks interesting, I Googled it and found the list price is $3,000, would you know the approx. DIY cost for the components and chassis including heat sinks?
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM   #4463
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Fully balanced? Of that list, none, though the BA-3 can be made fully balanced, but I would get at least one amp built and under your belt before taking on a BA-3b. (And the Burning Amp series are, in my opinion, still the coolest amps Papa has given the community... )

The Aleph J has a differential front-end and it can be driven from a balanced source natively. It's also one of the most beautiful sounding amplifiers available, anywhere.

An F5, or Aleph J, F4, F6, M2x, and the like (as these are all built around the same basic template of PSU requirements and rejected heat, output power, etc...) Can be built for around $600-700. And significantly less than that if you have the ability and equipment to make your own chassis. (Which, let's face it, most people don't...)
Old Today, 12:12 AM   #4464
Dennis Hui is offline Dennis Hui  Canada
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Hi SHN,

If you're considering building any of the amps mentioned and machining is not
your forte, consider buying a deluxe chassis from the diyaudio store.

One thing I will add to 6L6's answer is that if you're in Canada, you may
want to budget more to account for shipping and HST. The two most expensive parts
of the amp are the chassis and transformer/power supply and unfortunately
the parts for both are heavy and expensive to ship. Not a deal breaker by any means,
but just something to keep in mind.

And yes, the Aleph J is really nice and can take a balanced input. In fact, I built mine
only with balanced input.

Cheers,
Dennis
Old Today, 06:55 AM   #4465
astromo is offline astromo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudthud View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiendung71 View Post
Has anyone used IRFP460 for the ACA ? have a difference with IRFP240 ?
See reply 478 of this thread.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Hardly a confidence inspiring report but useful to avoid repeating history. Hopefully @tiendung71 appreciates the value of your experience..
Old Today, 12:54 PM   #4466
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hui View Post
Hi SHN,

If you're considering building any of the amps mentioned and machining is not
your forte, consider buying a deluxe chassis from the diyaudio store.

One thing I will add to 6L6's answer is that if you're in Canada, you may
want to budget more to account for shipping and HST. The two most expensive parts
of the amp are the chassis and transformer/power supply and unfortunately
the parts for both are heavy and expensive to ship. Not a deal breaker by any means,
but just something to keep in mind.

And yes, the Aleph J is really nice and can take a balanced input. In fact, I built mine
only with balanced input.

Cheers,
Dennis
Thanks again Dennis, yes I am in Ontario and am prepared to pay HST, as I did for the ACA 5 W amp. It would have been an easier decision on just getting another ACA (1.6 now) for the fully balanced feature, but I am a little concerned with the resulting lower damping factor especially for 4 ohms speakers. It isn't an issue if I use the subwoofer all the time and crossover at 80 Hz or higher. I can't afford to buy any of the Pass lab or First watt amp but probably can afford the $600 to $700 DIY one plus the cost of a chassis, but really want to try something that is "fully" balanced.
Old Today, 01:00 PM   #4467
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Fully balanced? Of that list, none, though the BA-3 can be made fully balanced, but I would get at least one amp built and under your belt before taking on a BA-3b. (And the Burning Amp series are, in my opinion, still the coolest amps Papa has given the community... )

The Aleph J has a differential front-end and it can be driven from a balanced source natively. It's also one of the most beautiful sounding amplifiers available, anywhere.

An F5, or Aleph J, F4, F6, M2x, and the like (as these are all built around the same basic template of PSU requirements and rejected heat, output power, etc...) Can be built for around $600-700. And significantly less than that if you have the ability and equipment to make your own chassis. (Which, let's face it, most people don't...)
Thank again for your help. Does your estimated $600-$700 (I assume USD) include a suitable chassis? Also, I have only built one amp, the ACA 1.5 kit so do you think the F5 won't be too difficult if I follow your build guide to the letter/photo? If I were to do the F5, I may want to use a 600 VA transformer instead of the 400 VA shown in the guide, do you know where I can get it from?

Sorry about so many questions but I am totally new to this, just retire and never had time for hobbies before.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!