Amp Camp Amp - ACA - Page 39 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2012, 09:04 AM   #381
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

There should be a good number of board sets available. we'll try to keep them in stock, but we're also planning on another kit run.

Mark
Old 4th October 2012, 09:10 AM   #382
diyAudio Member

okei
Old 5th October 2012, 09:41 PM   #383
diyAudio Member

Got my kit, very excited. Do you guys know when the step by step photo instructions will be available? I'm a total newbie here.

Thx!
Old 7th October 2012, 10:15 AM   #384
diyAudio Member

Is any matching needed for the mosfets ot jfets? Is there any benefit from matching and if so do the kits have matched transistors??
Old 7th October 2012, 05:49 PM   #385
diyAudio Editor

We're working on two different instructions. One will be the long term version with the clearest, and slickest production values, the other will hopefully be done very soon and will be a bit looser.

Of course you should read the article a couple of times. It live in the menu bar at the top of the page under "articles" or here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/index.php?pageid=articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by agold View Post
Got my kit, very excited. Do you guys know when the step by step photo instructions will be available? I'm a total newbie here.

Thx!

Last edited by Variac; 7th October 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 7th October 2012, 05:52 PM   #386
diyAudio Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain pugwash View Post
Is any matching needed for the mosfets ot jfets? Is there any benefit from matching and if so do the kits have matched transistors??
Nelson Pass really thought this through. And it being Single-Ended helps. The JFET input buffer is just one JFET, so no matching there, and the output device is a single MOSFET. It has a second MOSFET but that's for a different function- the constant current source, so no matching required or possible.

Last edited by Variac; 7th October 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 7th October 2012, 06:28 PM   #387
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variac View Post
...... or possible.
do not underestimate creativity of common Greedy Boy .........
Old 7th October 2012, 06:47 PM   #388
diyAudio Editor

Old 8th October 2012, 05:53 AM   #389
LBHajdu is offline LBHajdu  United States
diyAudio Member

I got my kit and built it and I am listening to it now. I will write a review, at some point, as I have solicited reviews from others. I am attaching some photos.

In the first photo you can see the built- up kit, there are some switches and binding-posts in the kit as well which are not yet attached in the photo. The board in the photo is powered-up I was adjusting the offset cold. It did not change much (only a few mV) when they got hot.

There are people that can stuff PCBs a lot neater then I can using special jigs to bend the leads I am sure there are some more detailed tutorials on this site. As can be seen from the pictures, I place the component (resistor in this case) on the board to get an idea of where to bend the leads. Then I use the needle nose pliers to bend the lead, never putting any pressure on the component side and making sure the value is facing up. If the spacing is right it should slide right into the board. I then bend the leads on the back side of the board so it does not slide out while I am soldering. Then the leads get clipped with wire cutters, holding on to the lead so it will not go flying.

These resistors seem a bit small to be 1/4Watt (I'm not sure what they are actually) I was actually expecting the brown Dale resistors. I just went ahead and use them, and there were no problems.

I got all parts needed to build the kit. However one strip of resistors was marked 1K on one side and 10K on the other, so just watch-out for that. I measured everything with a multimeter. You can see me measuring the resistors in the picture and in another pic you can see the 1K marking on the other side.

If there are any questions as to where or how components go, I am attaching a high resolution picture of the board. You should be able to see the markings on all the resistors.

Good luck to others,
Leve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finsihed.JPG (282.9 KB, 611 views)
File Type: jpg BoardDone.JPG (197.0 KB, 587 views)
File Type: jpg ResBand1.JPG (97.2 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg ResBand2.JPG (72.2 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg ResBand3.JPG (32.2 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg FunnyRes.JPG (109.3 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg ResBand4.JPG (99.5 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg FunnyRes2.JPG (134.6 KB, 194 views)
Old 8th October 2012, 06:45 AM   #390
diyAudio Member

SO beautiful

Hide this!Advertise here!