Amp Camp Amp - ACA - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2012, 10:14 AM   #361
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Default !!!!!!Brilliant Value!!!!!!

I went for the heatsinks as I don't have any way of successfully drilling and tapping them that costs less that getting them as part of the kit.

For anyone thinking of ordering from the UK:- 2 heatsinks & the amp kits (no power supply due to voltage difference) and the cheaper/slower postage option costs about £111

Thanks Nelson et al for this kick start, training wheel entry to amp building, and more importantly, for me at least, CLASS A
Old 28th September 2012, 11:19 AM   #362
diyAudio Member

Wow. I thought shipping to Australia was a bit rich @US$54... Guess i got the good end of that deal.

I could source heat sinks cheaper locally, but wanted to support the diyAudio store and Variac's efforts.

@JRKO. Typical laptop supply (i assume this applies here) will operate from 110-240VAC, you just need to source a 'clover leaf' mains cable to suit your mains outlets.
Old 28th September 2012, 11:32 AM   #363
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoore3181 View Post
Wow. I thought shipping to Australia was a bit rich @US$54... Guess i got the good end of that deal.

I could source heat sinks cheaper locally, but wanted to support the diyAudio store and Variac's efforts.

@JRKO. Typical laptop supply (i assume this applies here) will operate from 110-240VAC, you just need to source a 'clover leaf' mains cable to suit your mains outlets.
As usual its more expensive in the UK (just to clarify £111 for kit, sinks & postage)

As for the power supply ignorance - thats why I'm building this amp!! I'm a complete fool when it come to the electrical side of things At least the supplies are very cheap here.

From the picture it looks like the one on sale outputs up to 4.7 amps?
Old 28th September 2012, 02:16 PM   #364
mc297 is offline mc297  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Q1

Do you think the distorsion figure will improve using IRFP044 instead of IRFP240?
If yes, shall I have to change Q2 too?
Thanks in advace!
Old 28th September 2012, 05:46 PM   #365
diyAudio Member

shipped!!! you guys rock
Old 28th September 2012, 09:18 PM   #366
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
As usual its more expensive in the UK (just to clarify £111 for kit, sinks & postage)

As for the power supply ignorance - thats why I'm building this amp!! I'm a complete fool when it come to the electrical side of things At least the supplies are very cheap here.

From the picture it looks like the one on sale outputs up to 4.7 amps?
I see. I thought was pretty good value for the whole kit too.

I recall in either the article or one of the Amp Camp write-ups (probably both, but I'm too lazy right now to confirm) that 19v @2A was mentioned as a base requirement for the psu - but as usual here - more is probably better.

I saw several suitable units on the bay of e, and your local computer surplus store or fair/market would no doubt be a good place to look too.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:55 PM   #367
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

The PSU we offer is labeled as 19v @ 4.7 A so it can run 2 channels if you have them in one chassis, but the monoblock idea seems to appeal to people. Why not?

It does work up to 240v but you'd need a different power cord, or to at least cut the wall plug off and replace. We figured that it's probably more economical to get one off eBay in your home country, which is why we offer them separately, but the jack issue has to be considered also. As with the heatsinks, if you just order the whole package, it screws together...

I'm looking forward to seeing the cookie tins, cigar boxes, Lego creations, etc. that people use if they want to enclose the things.

We'll have a nice chassis in a couple of months of course..

Mark

The article's here..
Amp Camp Amp #1

Last edited by Variac; 28th September 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:00 PM   #368
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

#1 is indicative ...........
Old 28th September 2012, 11:39 PM   #369
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I won't allow him to change the circuit boards! We have 300 in stock!!!
But someday I'm thinking of adding a "play area" to the sides of the board design with perfboard holes to add things like crossovers, big caps etc. Or maybe a second Board with holes only, but with our mounting points. So we should have a stock design ,well documented, that works and works well. Then variations that are also well documented.

So sure, come up with variations, but make sure that they can be done with the same basic board. Of course you guys are uncontrollable so why do I bother saying this!

Last edited by Variac; 29th September 2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 29th September 2012, 11:25 AM   #370
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variac View Post
Of course you guys are uncontrollable so why do I bother saying this!

Hide this!Advertise here!