Amp Camp Amp - ACA

ACA v1.6 Balanced Monoblocks - Speaker Loading Resistor

Hi,

Just read Herb Reichart’s Stereophile article on the First Watt SIT-3. In it Mr. Pass recommended adding a 10 ohm speaker loading resistor shunt to the speaker binding post to improve the sound coming from the SIT-3 when running with Zu Audio Soul Supremes (pretty effiecient speakers). (Article is here First Watt SIT-3 power amplifier Page 2 | Stereophile.com )

I am running the ACA v1.6 Balanced Monoblocks 24 volt supply with Zu Soul Superflys. Just curious if it makes sense that the sound would be improved by adding a similar shunt.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Jim.

Hamelka, I’d like to know as well.

I have the Zu Omen DW and made the ACA monoblocks for them. I didn’t love them with the Zu’s...and preferred them with my KEF floorstanders. The opposite was true for my PrimaLuna Dialogue 2. That amp didn’t do my KEFs justice but it pairs nicely with the Zu’s.

The ACA’s with the Zu had more bass (perhaps a bit boomy), but the soundstage suffered and the highs were a bit harsh.

Totem mini speakers with ACA ?

Hello,
I have a question regarding Amo Camp Amp and Totem Mini speakers.
Does anyone have this combination? Will this combo work well? It’s 87db 8 ohm speaker and my room is 16’ x 12’ x 9’ ceilings. I am just worried the 8 wats won’t be enough to drive these.
Thanks

I'm going to take a stab at this. It'll depend on your preamp.

If you have a zero-gain pre like I had at first in the shape and form of a B1, then no, it won't be loud enough with the 87dB 8 Ohm speakers. If you use a pre with some gain (15dB should work quite well), then I guess you'd be happy with the sound, even though it's only 8W.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I completely agree with the above, ( and not because it will sell another amp ) - the ACA in self bridged mode (driven from the RCA jacks) has the perfect dose of negative-phase 2nd harmonic that is the "magic sauce" that so many people love and enjoy.

This is not to cast any negatives on a single ACA - it's just that 2 is greater than the sum of it's parts, as you get more power AND an increase in overall beauty.

Makes for an no-brainer upgrade path. :)

Based on what I have been doing lately, a 250VA 18V + 18V transformer will be sufficient for one ACA. A pair of monoblocks would need two of these.
Since a linear PSU does not include power factor correction, as the usual ACA kit SMPS does, the transformer needs a higher current rating to make up for the fact that it is only able to charge the reservoir capacitors during a small portion of the AC power cycle.

This is not to cast any negatives on a single ACA - it's just that 2 is greater than the sum of it's parts, as you get more power AND an increase in overall beauty.

Ok, my system is with the latest ACA, the AKSA preamp, and running the Rogers LS7.

The problem is that with the music running at normal sound, the volume is at around 80% and if I make it a little higher volume the speakers is crackling the tweeters. Swapped it back with the original MusicalFidelity P150, and none of that crackling.

I'm sure that running the volume at the top will be damaging the tweeters etc, and don't want to hear it crackling! Not enough amp spare for the ACA and the Roger LS7.

So, I need to give it a better Amp. With a double ACA, how much extra power would it be for the system before the crackling again?

Any other Amps I should be looking for? Have seen the MoFo, anything else?

... I'm sure that running the volume at the top will be damaging the tweeters etc, and don't want to hear it crackling! Not enough amp spare for the ACA and the Roger LS7.

So, I need to give it a better Amp. With a double ACA, how much extra power would it be for the system before the crackling again?

Why not try the ACA in bridged mode? That should get you about 15 watts into 8 ohms. OK it will only be mono, but you will know if it will drive the LS7s to an acceptable level. (Just do not expect twice as loud for 2 times the watts...)
Go from there.