Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes, I wish I could get the best sound of it.

By the way, according to original design, without modification like increasing the voltage and bias, how hot the heatsink will be? I ordered a heatsink from RS UK which rated at 0.29degC/W and the size is 150x200x15. I have ordered 2 pieces of this. Do you think I can fit 2 boards (left anf right channel) into 1 piece, so that I could save another piece.
Moppy, fins are rather short on your ordered sink, and so the surface is rather small. I first tried 150x150x15 (because I had them), but it went hot after a while. Since you have already ordered, I 'd give it a try. Just one channel per sink! Maybe it works on your location.

I run mine on two transformers rated at 2x15V / 2,5 A.
The two outputs are run in parallel and give me just under 21V to the ACA, power is just enough I think, the transformers are just a little warmer than the air inside the cabinet.
Heatsinks are four scavenged pieces giving a total of 100x270x25mm. per side, but with few fins.
It runs at just over 50C in normal ambient temperature around 20C.
I can hold my hand on the heatsinks for several seconds without too much discomfort.

Attachments

• aca (1)__resize.jpg
    aca (1)__resize.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 796
  • DSC_0029__red.jpg
    DSC_0029__red.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 767
  • DSC_0027_red.jpg
    DSC_0027_red.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 766
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The kits are 90% finished. Waiting on the PCB's, which we recently discovered had to be re-designed to wor with with the HiFi 2000 chassis we want to use. They will be nice though, the MOSFETS are relocated and will cool a bit better as a side effect, Not that cooling was ever a problem generally, but in hot climates everything helps!

Hi, I'm a total noob to Solid State and wanted to start building my first Pass Labs DiY amp. If I'm posting in the wrong section please let me know.

I'm looking to build a class A to run my Frugel Horn speakers. Previously I ran them with my first ever kit build, a tube amp (k2G?) from TubesDepot. I loved the process, upgraded the caps and transformers, got my feet wet with soldering and buying upgraded parts. But that was a few years ago and that amp is gone now and the few skills I learned are a bit rusty.

Now I want to try a solid state and after drooling over the F5/F6 and Aleph J and thinking I'd dive right in, I figured maybe I should be smart and start with an AmpCamp ACA since it's designed as a learning build, and since I only need to power high efficiency speakers and a pair of Audeze LCD-2 headphones (speaker level connected since orthos need more power to shine than most affordable headphone amps have). Also money is somewhat tight at present.

My question is will the AmpCamp build work for these applications and will it work with my existing pre-amp and DAC. My goal is to build an amp to use with my existing other gear and then upgrade the amp and other gear as I learn.

Here's my previous setup:

*USB FLAC/ALAC files out of my mac (16/44 up to 24/192. Tastes: Rock, Jazz, Classical. Mostly JAZZ these days).

*Anedio D1 DAC (32bit sabre dac chip?) with their USB/SPdif converter (so I can get 24/192)

*Pete Millet's APEX Peak/Volcano as a pre-amp (it's a headphone amp too but less than 1watt so it doesn't drive ortho cans well. It's a single ended Tube input stage with mosfet output? The Volcano power supply is separate from the pre-amp to reduce noise. I like this piece as it performs well and allows some shaping of the sound via tube rolling.

*AMP (missing link) - Prior was as stated a tube amp kit from TubesDepot that was fun but noisy. I upgraded the input caps and output transformers. Never went any farther.

*Frugel Horn speakers, regular size with the 4inch fostex drivers (with the dots painted on). I bought the kit and drivers from Planet10 back in 2014. I love full range sound, and love these speakers. My listening room is only 10x11ft and plan to use them in a mid to near-field configuration.

Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry again if I posted in the wrong section.
Kevin Wolff.

Kevin,

No need to apologize. You’ve got some nice gear, a small room and a near field setup. Pete Millett is a favorite and an excellent designer. Your Pinnacle preamp uses a 6SN7 as its gain tube and then a MOSFET output stage for a low output impedance. It can definitely swing some volts. There is a description in the 6moons review from 2011. I couldn’t find specs though like overall gain, but I figure it will be just fine given that a CC gain stage with a 6SN7 can provide 20dB gain give or take. You should have plenty maybe too much.

6moons audio reviews: Apex Audio Peak & Volcano

Have you tried going direct with your Anedio D1? It has its own volume control and that might be great for your 2ch side of your system.

With your higher efficiency Frugel’s, I think you will have a joyous time with the ACA, but I would wait for ACA II which should be revealed soon. Your current setup can easily survive on 5-10 watts.

Enjoy the ride and welcome!

Anand.

Thanks. Yeah, Pete Millet makes some nice stuff. The problem with the Peak is it can only be used as a preamp for speakers, there are no speaker outs on the Peak. It's a stunning preamp, but only has a headphone amp stage just shy of 1watt (850MW I believe). It was made for dynamic cans like the Sennheiser HD 600 and 650, the latter of which I intended to use it with until I discovered and fell in love with the LCD-2. I used the LCD-2 with the Peak for the first couple years and it was decent enough, but when I introduced the tube amp into the chain and relegated the peak to just a preamp, it blew me away. I then read some more about how the LCD-2 doesn't come alive until you give it a couple solid watts and this was indeed true. I also got the Frugel horns around that time after first unsuccessfully experimenting with an open baffle design, and realized the requirements for the Frugels were nearly the same as the ortho cans. So I started searching for flea amps and t-amps and then discovered FirstWatt. I was hooked but overwhelmed by the prospect of jumping right into an ALeph J or F5 (no F6 yet at that time), but then got sidetracked for a Few years.

There's a new AmpCap ACA coming? I didn't know that. Cool, I will wait for it since the kits are out of stock anyway. I'm still finishing up my summer hobby anyway (DIY car repairs). Not quite as satisfying I can attest.

Also, the Anedio DAC also works as a headphone amp (and a sort of anti-preamp) but also not enough power to push the ortho cans. It also can't drive speakers. So it's the same issue as the Peak.
I've must have read that 6moons review a hundred times before buying the Peak. I wondered why the LCD-2 head-fi-ers where mostly buying the Shiit Lyr at the time instead something as well made as the Peak, but higher power of the Lyr was the reason. I didn't understand then, but am glad I didn't. Otherwise I'd never have experienced the Peak as a preamp.

Thanks again.

if tube amp from TubesDepot is similar in power , then ACA is way to go

It is similar, yes. The tube amp was like 5 or 6 watts and was more than enough to power the Frugel horns and LCD-2 with authority.
Sounds like the ACA is for me. I'll guess with it being out of stock I'll hang in there for upcoming revision.
I'm in bluetooth speaker hell right now, but can endure awhile longer :D
Thanks!

I thought I might wait for ACA2 but I'm dying to get started. My goal is to have an open air design up and running by Thanksgiving with the just the necessary heatsinks and a simple wood or aluminum platform and mounting posts, and then build an enclosure in the following months, and then a regulated power supply, etc.

I planned to get the PCBs which are still in stock and then get heatsinks from heatsinks USA around 10 or 12 inches long to allow for space for the future power supply upgrade.

What is the ideal height for ACA heat sink? I was thinking roughly 4-5 inches?
I learned about tapping and have a drill press to drill pilot holes and start the taps and then finish by hand for the mosfets.

I assume I can source everything from mouser and digikey? Should I consider specific brands/model on any of the caps or transistors? On the resistors it doesn't matter, correct?

I guess I'm mainly asking if there are more obvious pitfalls to avoid so that I might minimize the mistakes that are part of learning.

Thanks.
Kevin