Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Hi All, I desided go build the ampcamp amp. I have a couple questions though. I read a post here that said he 'didn't have any speakers this amp sounded good with'. Is this amp particular about what speakers it mates with??? I saw the BOM and kits and such and for the price it seems like a good deal. In this case does the sound quality equate to the low price?? Also, I am making the chassis a metal sculpture and need to run the Little Black Thingies (LBT) wires away from the boards to the were the cooling flower fans will be located. Is that doable??

Here is a very rough pic of what I am thinking. I like the copper flower coolers from an artistic POV. The chassis is an inverted Nike swoosh and will be as wide as needed and maybe 6 to 8 inches deep. Made from steel plate and either left to rust or a blacking patina.

The PTX will be wrapped in a copper, brass, or bronze spaceship looking affair.

Attachments

• ampcamp.png
    ampcamp.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
Hi all
First there is a bit of a buzz from the speakers when they're first turned on, as my horns are going to be active i hope this buzz energy hasn't got to much power to damage my mid and tweeter drivers. Also a small pop on switch off. Concern?

Secondly was the heat sink temp, after about 1/2 hr on idle the heat sink temp got to a bit over 50 deg C. Is this too hot?
PS put caps on switch this avoid arch
try to put pover on an AC side ie before the psu
50/55 is ok ,x summer small fan or better heatsink like Conrad
Ps put a caps on switch to avoid arch

Last edited:
Secondly was the heat sink temp, after about 1/2 hr on idle the heat sink temp got to a bit over 50 deg C. Is this too hot?

Heatsink facing upwards is not an issue. It just that yours is strangled by being sunk into the chassis. There is no easy way for convection to occur. The heat rises and should be replaced by cool air but yours is walled in on all sides. This means it can only draw on pre heated air from above - not optimal.

You could add a fan blowing along the fins etc etc. You might try removing the crown of the chassis, down to the shelf that the sinks rest on. This would open them up to clean cool air.

I'd do both as you have 4 amps on small heat sinks. A nice 200mm PC fan would be virtually silent. They spin at about 900rpm, make 22db of noise (silent whisper) but move 100 cubic ft of air per min :eek:

A friend of mine has built the ACA's and is using a light bulb current limiter and it is staying on blinking instead of going off. On one of my builds the Aleph 30 the light bulb did burn because of the current drawn with the Aleph circuit I found out. Is this the case with the the ACA's?

Last edited:
After some thought I think I understand about the current limiter light bulb tester. The laptop chargers are switching PS and they are like a separate electronic device and the laptop chargers were doing what they do pulling current and switching causing the light to shine and blink. A conventional transformer CCRC PS does not do these thing being a passive device. In other words the laptop charges plugged into the light bulb tester without the amp will probably do the same thing, shine the light and blink.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.