Amp Camp Amp - ACA - Page 126 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2013, 01:53 AM   #1251
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

My kit shipped today.
Old 20th August 2013, 02:43 AM   #1252
opa1 is offline opa1  United States
diyAudio Member

Mine too! I see there sold out already!

Mark
Old 22nd August 2013, 03:56 AM   #1253
diyAudio Member

Guess I spoke too soon. The store has them in stock.

Does anyone know if a Little Dot III tube preamp/headphone amp will work with the ACA?

I tried it with a Sure tk2050 Class-d amp and got a loud hum and bad speaker bump. Thought it was going to blow up the speakers.

I'd like to try it when I get the ACA's done but, I don't want to damage them or my speakers.
Old 22nd August 2013, 06:10 PM   #1254
diyAudio Member

I am also interested in any input on what would be a good pre-amp. i have a JDS labs BB cMoy headphone amp that I might try first.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:59 PM   #1255
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

I hope this message doesn't bring anyone's ire, (not posting a link here) but if you want/need gain, do a Google search for " Class A Dual differential FET input PER-AMP Kit DIY" you will find several sources for what I feel is a top shelf pre at an amazing ~ $30 bump.
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:35 PM   #1256
billyk is offline billyk  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I tried it with a Sure tk2050 Class-d amp and got a loud hum and bad speaker bump. Thought it was going to blow up the speakers.
Don't know about the hum... Did you follow the recommended power on and off sequence? Little Dot's manual recommends letting the Little Dot warm up for about a minute before turning on the power amp and turning the power amp off first when powering down the system. That should avoid the bump.
Old 23rd August 2013, 03:58 AM   #1257
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
I hope this message doesn't bring anyone's ire, (not posting a link here) but if you want/need gain, do a Google search for " Class A Dual differential FET input PER-AMP Kit DIY" you will find several sources for what I feel is a top shelf pre at an amazing ~ $30 bump.

Thanks for heads-up. This looks good. Sold my LDIII today.

Mark
Old 23rd August 2013, 03:59 PM   #1258
diyAudio Member

Being mostly a tubophile I had to take the plunge into the Pass ACA amp. With its weeny 5 watt output I still manage to get a full-bodied sound on my sensitive speakers. The only snag is that it needs some preamp boost before going through my LS-DCB1 (another Pass – Thank you so much Mr Pass). But I like it a lot, it’s so musical, compared to my favourite JC Morrison 6L6-EF86 SE tube amp.

I built it as a test from scraps I hoarded a long time before. Surely, it’s not the last word in construction, far from it, but I like to recycle parts. It has a computer PS fan to cool things up in this summer heat. I’m playing it right now and there is a background hum. The case is a metal one (from the same PS unit) and the circuit GND is not earthed to the case. Before making this connection I would like to ask you a question:

There are 3 gnd points on the pcb which I suppose are all connected. Is this so? The 3 gnd points are: 1) the 19V PS gnd; 2) LS output gnd and 3) the Signal In gnd. Now, from which Gnd point should I wire the ‘star’ earth to the metal enclosure/case?
Old 23rd August 2013, 07:14 PM   #1259
dodog is offline dodog  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonata149 View Post
There are 3 gnd points on the pcb which I suppose are all connected. Is this so? The 3 gnd points are: 1) the 19V PS gnd; 2) LS output gnd and 3) the Signal In gnd. Now, from which Gnd point should I wire the ‘star’ earth to the metal enclosure/case?
I'm sure to be corrected if I'm wrong... I don't believe that you need to run a star to the case. If you look at the pictorial build, there is no ground to the case:

Amp Camp Amp #1 – A Pictorial Build Guide
Old 24th August 2013, 01:52 AM   #1260
N Brock is offline N Brock  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodog View Post
I'm sure to be corrected if I'm wrong... I don't believe that you need to run a star to the case. If you look at the pictorial build, there is no ground to the case:

Amp Camp Amp #1 – A Pictorial Build Guide
The board grounds the heatsink though the standoffs. Most cases won't be earth grounded because of the brick type supply.

EDIT: I reread what sonata wrote, realized the question was not answered.

The IN-, OUT+, power, and case ground are all connected (see schematic)
A star won't hurt.

Last edited by N Brock; 24th August 2013 at 02:00 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!