Amp Camp Amp - ACA Amp Camp Amp - ACA - Page 119 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2013, 08:28 PM   #1181
speedless is offline speedless  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
speedless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: just short of paradise
Hi
VERY cool looking!
I use a simple thumbrule:inlet area as large as possibel,outlet area same * 4.
This give a natural convection flow of the heat.(in an enclosure)
Anyway I would let them stick out as much as possibel.

Jan
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 09:53 PM   #1182
Variac is online now Variac  Costa Rica
diyAudio Editor
 
Variac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Francisco, USA San Josť, Costa Rica
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Heat sink looks good for one ch.

The 20 watt comment was that the amp is quite inefficient, to get the 5 watts output it "wastes" many times that as heat to the heatsinks. It's not a waste though- not when you hear it..

I like your idea of 2 totally independent towers on one base. It will really look good! Also very practical since you'll have switched inputs and volume control
__________________
"The geek shall inherit the earth"
Burning Amp thread here on diyAudio
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 07:11 PM   #1183
sharpi31 is offline sharpi31  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
I've assembled an external psu with one XP power ECM130PS24 smps (http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/310596.pdf) for two mono amps. I was using two generic laptop chargers previously.

The new PSU runs at 22.6V (after being adjusted to the lower limit). My old chargers ran at about 20.5V. I haven't checked or adjusted the bias yet, but it was sitting on 10V with the old supplies. Loudthud demonstrated that HF distortion reduced when bias was increased to 11V with (I believe) a 19V psu. On this basis I'm going to try changing the bias to 13V with the 22.6V psu after everything has warmed up again.

No dramatic change in sound quality so far. Perhaps a little more relaxed and resolved. I'm happy knowing that the new supply is likely to be far more reliable, produce less noise, psu voltage is the same for both channels and the smps switching frequency is well away from the audible range at 120khz.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 07:17 PM   #1184
boatbuilder is offline boatbuilder  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: stadskanaal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variac View Post
Heat sink looks good for one ch.

The 20 watt comment was that the amp is quite inefficient, to get the 5 watts output it "wastes" many times that as heat to the heatsinks. It's not a waste though- not when you hear it..

I like your idea of 2 totally independent towers on one base. It will really look good! Also very practical since you'll have switched inputs and volume control

thanks. as it is for my son i want to keep it clean and simple, and it must be sometihing good to look at. i hope to get it to run at around 10 watts as we will be building small speakers for him to.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 02:59 PM   #1185
dodog is offline dodog  United States
diyAudio Member
 
dodog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Iowa City, IA
More stupid questions....

When using Keratherm or Sil-Pad insulators, do you still need to use thermal grease or do you just use this as-is between the MOSFET and the heat-sink?

Does anyone know a source (Digikey, Mouser) for a jack-connector (preferably chassis mount) for an EIAJ-05 connector? I have two power supplies with this tip and am finding it very hard to find a mate. I can find a PCB mount but that will be very hard to cut/mount to a chassis. I could suck it up and buy two more power supplies but I'd like to use these, if possible.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 03:06 PM   #1186
sachu888 is offline sachu888  India
diyAudio Member
 
sachu888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: India
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodog View Post
More stupid questions....

When using Keratherm or Sil-Pad insulators, do you still need to use thermal grease or do you just use this as-is between the MOSFET and the heat-sink?

Does anyone know a source (Digikey, Mouser) for a jack-connector (preferably chassis mount) for an EIAJ-05 connector? I have two power supplies with this tip and am finding it very hard to find a mate. I can find a PCB mount but that will be very hard to cut/mount to a chassis. I could suck it up and buy two more power supplies but I'd like to use these, if possible.
Will this work for you?

Regards,
Sachin
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 03:10 PM   #1187
dodog is offline dodog  United States
diyAudio Member
 
dodog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Iowa City, IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu888 View Post
Will this work for you?

Regards,
Sachin
Sachin, there isn't a link.

I did some digging and found one at MCM electronics. I should have checked there as they seem to have everything:

DC Panel Mount Jack Eiaj 4.35x6.5x1.4 Plastic (eiaj V) | 027-5883 (0275883) | Distributed By MCM
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 03:13 PM   #1188
sachu888 is offline sachu888  India
diyAudio Member
 
sachu888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: India
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodog View Post
Sachin, there isn't a link.

I did some digging and found one at MCM electronics. I should have checked there as they seem to have everything:

DC Panel Mount Jack Eiaj 4.35x6.5x1.4 Plastic (eiaj V) | 027-5883 (0275883) | Distributed By MCM
Sorry,here it is http://in.mouser.com/ProductDetail/K...Jm1QV1qQ%3d%3d

Regards,
Sachin
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 03:16 PM   #1189
sachu888 is offline sachu888  India
diyAudio Member
 
sachu888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: India
I found many here http://in.mouser.com/Connectors/Powe...z0z812Z1z0z63x

Regards,
Sachin
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 03:22 PM   #1190
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay City, Michigan
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodog View Post
....When using Keratherm or Sil-Pad insulators, do you still need to use thermal grease or do you just use this as-is between the MOSFET and the heat-sink?
Please see this post and Andrews answer.
__________________
Bob M.
"Arrange Whatever Pieces Come Your Way."
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amp Camp Amp #1 Nelson Pass diyAudio.com Articles 43 24th October 2016 04:09 AM
Amp Camp! Jason Site Announcements 2 30th June 2012 02:57 PM
Best D camp config for Tweeter amp Zero One Class D 0 24th February 2010 04:57 AM
better the Pass camp? rick57 Tubes / Valves 6 26th March 2005 06:04 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 diyAudio
Wiki