Amp Camp Amp - ACA

As far as F-5 being "better" than Amp Camp, and I havent built Amp Camp, I find the ones I have built or at least listened to is this: Some sound different from each other but all Pass stuff sounds good!

F-5 is a little more complicated thsn what I see envolved with Amp camp, and I love my F-5. That said, I bought several different F-5 boards in my excitement from Peter Daniels, Diy, both regular and F-5C with double outputs. Bought matched quads of Jfets fot F-5X, etc.

Once I built BA-3, I began selling off the F-5 stuff and bought the Aleph J group buy and F-6 package. I suddenly realized F-5 is very nice, but not the end all

I caught myself when I ordered stuff for BB-A3 amp, and while I have boards and parts, decided to wait for cases for F6 and AlephJ first!

I dont think ANY of them are "the last amp I will ever build" first, (especially with F7 on horizon) and secondly, while they all sound different they all sound good, as long as proper speaker is mated with them.

Russellc

I agree 100%
I wasn't suggesting F5 was the best, I probably prefer Aleph J, but it depends on your speakers. F3 is nice too, especially in a biamp setup.

I have some plans for mods on ACA.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Papa tells me that it's not that simple. My quotes of him are always wrong, but I believe he said a surprising number of people find 3rd harmonic sounds "more detailed" and I do find the F-5 sounds more detailed and analytic. Some really like that.

But in the Pass amps that have other harmonic structures, I always am surprised how the detail seems to be still there- it just doesn't hit you over the head.

A lot of what I've read seems to say that low order harmonics second or third, aren't the problem, it's the higher order ones.

Humans like second harmonics. In a blind test, F5 can never win. Believe it or not.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mr. Pico:
Yeah that supply should easily power 2 channels. You'll just have to have it connected to both channels. Please keep me informed if you find the PSU's. It's hard to imagine that trhey weren't included as they are 3/4 of the weight of the parts box so it would have been obvious if they were missing. Continue keeping us informed!

Mark

Mr. Pico:
Yeah that supply should easily power 2 channels. You'll just have to have it connected to both channels. Please keep me informed if you find the PSU's. It's hard to imagine that trhey weren't included as they are 3/4 of the weight of the parts box so it would have been obvious if they were missing. Continue keeping us informed!

Mark

They were definitely included, they are just MIA.
I'll have a look at work.
I'll probably buy another kit to modify and do an A/B comparison, so if they don't show up I can use the power supplies from the 2nd kit

Papa tells me that it's not that simple. My quotes of him are always wrong, but I believe he said a surprising number of people find 3rd harmonic sounds "more detailed" and I do find the F-5 sounds more detailed and analytic. Some really like that.

I'm talking about the preference of the majority. Lowest distortion and good harmonic structure, that's J2. Good harmonic structure and bad distortion, that's tube amps :D I think more than 80% who have built Aleph-J and F5 preferred Aleph-J. Built carefully, even generic Aleph (IRF610/9610) will most probably beat F5 in a blind test.

BTW, if you remove second harmonic without changing other harmonics, yes, the sound will be a lot more detailed.

I'm talking about the preference of the majority. Lowest distortion and good harmonic structure, that's J2. "
Interesting that you reference the J2. There is something in common between the J2 and the ACA. According to Nelson the J2 topology is a Mu follower. And that is also true of the ACA. I would love to have the chance to compare the sound of these two amps.

Has anyone done a higher voltage version of this amp?
From memory IRFP240 sounds even better with higher Vds. Will probably need a bigger heatsink etc but I'm curious to see what others might have done with this amp.
Or I'm considering some other output devices.

I think this amp is undervalued and has potential to be even better with some further tweaking.

Last edited:
Has anyone done a higher voltage version of this amp?
From memory IRFP240 sounds even better with higher Vds.
Or I'm considering some other output devices.

I think this amp is undervalued and has potential to be even better with some further tweaking.

The dissipation is pretty high with the stock voltage and current. Increasing the Vds further would make even more heat. Extra heat could be handled by bigger heat sink up to a point or can cooling. Papa commented that paralleling devices In this design is not the way to go. I wonder if the SiC mosfets with lower capacitance than the IRFP240's might be able to work when paralleled in the ACA and with increased voltage?

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tweak On Garth! That's the Amp Camp Way. There is info in this thread about higher voltages, etc. Yeah, it's long. And a small fan is worth about 4x the heatsink size! That's the way to try high power.

I was using them with those trendy bargain basement Pioneer speakers which are quite innefficient. Sounded quite good though. One day I thought "Honestly these sound pretty bad, you've been fooling yourself" Then I realized I had them turned up pretty high and they were clipping like crazy. There's only so much 5ish watts can do! Turned them back down and moved the speaks closer, and ... ahhhhh!

Mark

Just one comment. I often see (myself included) people wanting to over-engineer everything when a lot more could be gained by carefully selecting suitable speakers.

Last edited:
I saw no one else replied to this so I will. I replaced the 10 uF cap in each ACA with a NOS 12.5 uF oil cap that I had, fitting it in lying sideways (5" long). The sound difference is slight which backs up the claim that those Elna caps sound great. I do however think the oil caps sound just a little "nicer". That is my preference. Years ago when I had my hands on many more caps to test, I ended up thinking I like the sound of those oil caps. The key here is that if you feel like trying something, go for it, and see what sound you prefer, which might be different from the next person. Make yourself happy and have fun trying and let us know what you learn.
What about replacing the 3300uF panasonic output cap with 2 x 1500uF Elna Silmics.

Tweak On Garth! That's the Amp Camp Way. There is info in this thread about higher voltages, etc. Yeah, it's long. And a small fan is worth about 4x the heatsink size! That's the way to try high power.

I was using them with those trendy bargain basement Pioneer speakers which are quite innefficient. Sounded quite good though. One day I thought "Honestly these sound pretty bad, you've been fooling yourself" Then I realized I had them turned up pretty high and they were clipping like crazy. There's only so much 5ish watts can do! Turned them back down and moved the speaks closer, and ... ahhhhh!

Mark

Ok. Tweak on Wayne.