Amp Camp Amp - ACA - Page 110 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2013, 01:27 PM   #1091
diyAudio Member

So those of you who have built and use the ACA, what speakers work well and how to you do a volume control?
Old 9th July 2013, 01:28 PM   #1092
diyAudio Member

Wink And the new diyAudio offering is marvellous!!

I built the ACA in a chasis from modushop, but I had to wait for the kit from USA of the amp and a little more for the case from Italy. If I had the choice then, I would have ordered the full monty from the diyAudio store and the solution is more pleasing looking and easier to built because you do not need to make any holes whatsoever. The looks are very pro and the red one is tempting me!!!

Regards,

Jorge
Old 9th July 2013, 05:17 PM   #1093
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51frankie View Post
So those of you who have built and use the ACA, what speakers work well and how to you do a volume control?
I use an mAudio 2496 sound card on my PC, mini stereo jack Y to RCA to the ACA, Zaph Audio ZA5.2 from Madison Sound in my office. Use the volume on the mAudio control panel app. It sounds fantastic. Makes me pause and smile all the time.
Old 9th July 2013, 05:42 PM   #1094
diyAudio Member

Default Volume control and speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51frankie View Post
Hi,

As volume control I am using a bottlehead quickie preamp. Cheap, easy to build and great sound. Two inputs and batt operated. Quiet. Good gain to feed the ACA or the F5. I am also building a hotrroeded DCB1 buffer just for fun and try.

As for speakers, I used several of them, but the best option was a PMC DB1i. As a cheaper option, a full range DIY speaker based on a markaudio CHR-70 driver in a bass reflex port enclosure.

Regards,

Jorge
Old 9th July 2013, 05:51 PM   #1095
diyAudio Member

Jorge, bnorrish,
Thanks for the input. I am browsing madison now and diy speakers are a cool option, but with a no-gain pre I am guessing I need pretty efficient speakers.
I've looked at Bottlehead site before; I'll have to go back there.
Frankie
Old 10th July 2013, 09:56 AM   #1096
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

If you are new to speaker building, take a look at the Overnight Sensation package for a well respected DIY speaker set. Of course much depends on where you will use your system, but the OS has performed well in a wide range of applications. They also offer flexibility and good performance if/when you build amps with more power.

Last edited by bcmbob; 10th July 2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10th July 2013, 10:21 AM   #1097
gideon is offline gideon  Israel
diyAudio Member

Mine is playing through chr70 pensil speakers and sounds amazing!
I've been eyeing waveguide type speakers for some time, something like the kits on diysoundgroup or pispeakers.
They seem to have very high efficiency so the all watts from aca will be put to good use.
Wish it was easier to get the parts outside of US!
Old 10th July 2013, 02:20 PM   #1098
zany is offline zany  Australia
diyAudio Member

Mine is playing through Curvy Changs (bofu b20 + supertweeter) - full range double mouthed BVRs, around 90+db, fed by an Aikido LV preamp... plenty loud in a 6m x 5.5m room.
Old 10th July 2013, 07:38 PM   #1099
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the input. I am looking at the Overnight Sensations and it looks like it would be fun to do this project. I also got some feedback from John and JDS labs and he says my little Altoids encased cMoy headphone amp would work well as a pre and volume control.
I like the idea of Bottlehead, but by the time I'm finished it would be $140 plus any upgrades. Anyway, I'm having fun shopping and browsing.
Old 10th July 2013, 10:07 PM   #1100
billyk is offline billyk  United States
diyAudio Member

My ACA is in this set-up: ODAC > B1 > ACA > mMarken6p. I love the 3in. Mark Audio 6P they just sing in this setup!

Hide this!Advertise here!