Yet another heat sink problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having completed 4 channels of Aleph 5 with conventional heatsinks, I recently acquired a forced air-flow heat sink for free (junk yard). As using a fan is no option (noise), my plan is to cut this heatsink into six "slices" and mount them in a 2 x 3 array next to each other. The fins will be vertically and the transistors will attach to the sides of the array. This array will be mounted in the middle of the amplifiers case, and air can flow from the bottom through the heatsink to the top of the case. Of course, no other device will be placed on top of the amplifier and the feet it stands on will be higher than usual to assure air convection.

The heatsink I have is 26 cm long (there will be 6 slices of 4 cm), 6 cm high and there are forty fins. The picture shows a similar heatsink.

Each section (40 fins * 4cm * 6cm) has a surface area of about 960 square cm, adding up to a total of 5760 square cm.

(1 inch = 2.54 cm)

Here is my question: Can anyone estimate what approximate K/W rating the resulting heat sink will have, taking into account the case which will force the air to flow through it? Will it be enough for two channels of Aleph 5?

Attachments

• heatsink.jpg
    heatsink.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 848
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I once had the privilege (thanks to Peter Perkins), of a tour
under Oroville Dam. A line-up of 100 megawatt generators
in a cave as deep as Norad that could get close to a gigawatt
(as I recall).

Part of the tour was to be able to look at the shaft that drove
one of these, rotating at about 6 rpm, and realize the force
involved. There was nothing to keep you from reaching out
and touching it. Nobody did.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.