external trafoos, how?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I was happely building on my Aleph5 enclosure today. However I get a feeling things get a bit too crowded inside.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It measures 310 * 300 * 310 mm (inside). The original plan was that the PCBs would be vertically at the left and right side of the "trafo block" (separated by 10 mm of aluminium). There is 80 mm space at each side. It fits, but final soldering and measuring will be a bit difficult. I should have made it 20 mm or so wider :(

I could keep the trafo's (and rectifiers) in a separate case at the outside. I use the power supply schema of Kristijan

using two 650 VA Amplimos and 20*22000 uF elcos. There are 3 wires from the rectifiers to the elcos for each channel. These will hardly be longer then if I build eveything inside I think.
Any suggestions for the connections in between?

Maybe Neutrik Powercons?

Ronald

I used to use regular Neutrik XLR connectors for external power supply.They are rated at some 15Amp. or so ,accept thick cables and are very well built.
Bartek

Attachments

• neutrik_xlr_socket1.jpg
    neutrik_xlr_socket1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 971
Hi Tazzy,

Of course youre welcome to drink a beer after the Alpeh is making music. Probably will take another month or 2. I hope it will be ready before Xmas, then I have completed it in exactly 1 year.

I hope my big fat Lambda speakers and active xover will be finished too by then. Then I can blow off the needles from the xmas tree (playing Goldfrapp's "Train" ;) ).

Btw I also want to mount the mosfets with an U shaped bar (aluminium profiel), only strait onto the heatsink. In that way I hope to avoid using tiny M3 bolts, but M5 instead.

dear Duck-Twacy

if you plannig to build the power supply seperated from your amp you should consider some good connectors
>> first option i think are those powercons from neutrik.
>>second option is some wieland multi connectors. those their using in the theatre buisness.

this i mean by using good connections !!!!

first its getting hot en the resistance is getting higher then the temp is olso getting higher and then balm 2 cm of pure copper is burned !!

gr jaac from tuk the netherlands

Re: 22mF Caps

Cr3ator said:
Hi Duck-Twacy,

As I'm also living in The Netherlands (Enschede) and busy building my Aleph 5's, I'm wondering where u bought those 22.000uF caps and the 2.2mH coils?

Erik

I just noticed your question, sorry. The coils I bought at Aquablue in Antwerpen (http://www.diyparadiso.com).

The BC comp. elcos are bought by somebody else (via his work), I believe he bought them at http://www.spoerle.com

Jaac TheMaster said:
dear Duck-Twacy

if you plannig to build the power supply seperated from your amp you should consider some good connectors
>> first option i think are those powercons from neutrik.
>>second option is some wieland multi connectors. those their using in the theatre buisness.

this i mean by using good connections !!!!

first its getting hot en the resistance is getting higher then the temp is olso getting higher and then balm 2 cm of pure copper is burned !!

gr jaac from tuk the netherlands

Is that also an Aleph or some computer??

Thanks for the warning. I probably will use Powercons (rated at 20A rms).

Btw do I see an Alpeh5 with 12 * 47000 uF Panasonics being build. Love 2 see some more pics!!

the pic shown is from a 380 > 3 x 230 powerdistribustion. after 30 hours of hard gamming some sparks where crossing the room and that was the and ( the and "the doors").

later on i will post some more pics of some caps and so. for now i'll sleep :eek:

gr jaac

ps those coils you are using you have any type ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.