AlephX Aleph P and volume doing head in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've got two fully functional Aleph X (yay), and I am looking for the next step, and the info I found is doing my head in. Ideally I'd like to retire my old Electrocompaniet integrated and replace it with something... more.

So I started reading around. I've found that apparently we shouldn't go passive preamp for the Aleph-X, and that it's voltage swing hungry (yet it's is quite a bit quieter than what I'm used to).

So I look to the Aleph P 1.7. But this preamp despite the raves has a volume control on the output rather than the input, so does that make it not suitable to drive the Aleph-X?

What about a B1? That provides no voltage gain resulting in most likely an amp that will be too quiet (I listen to some classical music that is recorded with quite significant dynamic range).

Anyway now I'm completely lost and have a headache to boot :h_ache:. But that could have been the beers I had tonight. Any advice on what to pursue to replace my integrated (currently used as a pre)?

Well my concerns are only that the various posts on this forum are doing my head in, nothing more :)

Aleph X has a 10k input impedance which as part of my playing with it has been upped to 22k so I personally don't think it's really an issue either way.

I understand why the volume is at the output of the Aleph P, but specifically this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/28644-aleph-x-volume-2.html one hard to follow post had me doubting.

Anyway I think I'll just go for it. I did read that despite the variable output impedance the Aleph P has no issue driving pretty much anything.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Anyway I think I'll just go for it. I did read that despite the variable output impedance the Aleph P has no issue driving pretty much anything.

As far as I remember at the times the Aleph P had to drive the Aleph3 or 5 these had always only 10k input and Nelson would not have produced an Aleph P not usable with his Aleph amp series....... I am sure....:):)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.