oneplustwo Aleph X build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
glad you solved that ;)

btw - oneplustwo based on your kids ?

just saw their pictures in your blog , they're simply gorgeous

:)

@ZM: You got it! Good guess. Thanks again for all your help. I learn a little more every time I do one of these projects thanks to you and others who offer their expertise.

@doolav: I knew I read that somewhere. Thanks for the reference.

Well, it finally happened. The channel that I did NOT upgrade to 35A rectifiers got so hot that one of the rectifiers and the little heat sink it was attached to literally melted the solder and it fell out of the PCB. I was thinking it needed to be upgraded anyway as the transformer on that channel had a little more hum than the other one. Anyway, no harm done. I upgraded and all is good again. The only difference is that I used 35A 1000V rectifiers this time and 0.1uF caps across the AC tabs. Still have yet to measure ripple but I imagine it's the same as the other channel. I'll confirm later tonight.

Hi Jason,

Glad to see that your amp build has been coming along so nicely. Somehow, I missed your thread over the past little while or I would have offered some help (I'm glad that you found my website to be of some use) - looks like you've been in good hands with Choky!

I like your speaker projects - they have turned out great! Together with that nice sub you built a while ago ;) I suspect you have a great sounding system!

Enjoy!
Eric

Last edited:
When you get your Aleph-X amps up and running, I would be curious to know what you think of them in comparison to your very nice looking F5 build! I have had my Aleph-X amps for a few years now and like them very much. I have been contemplating a "standard" F5 build in a stereo chassis along with a DCB1 preamp board so I'd have an integrated amp (maybe for the office?). I think I might be starting to have too many amps - I'm running out of places to put them...

Eric,

Your site is awesome! I have it bookmarked and read it dozens of times. I enjoyed the other sections as well. Someday, if we ever have room for a HT room, I'll build the bass traps and other stuff too.

The sub needs to be utilized more. After I went DIY there's no .1 system. So I have a dcx2496 on the way. Thinking about a stereo preamp with .1 output as well. Then it shall be more complete. Until we have room for the IB sub!

Thanks for your documentation!

On the aleph vs f5 question, I don't really have enough to go off on. I've never done an AB comparison and I don't have a balanced source at the moment to take advantage of the balanced nature of the aleph x. (Getting an emotiva xda2 next time they go on sale... Sold my xda1.)

I will say that I do love the f5 dcb1 combo. The extra power of the aleph x is nice but I never really missed it before. Sound quality wise, it's a tough call without doing a real controlled comparison. And I am no authority on these things. In my mind, I build because I like to build. And if the sound is good, then I don't worry about the differences so much.

:)

Interesting that you say you've "lost" your .1 system after moving to DIY. I was looking to make a small, but high quality, 2.1 system for either home or office. I'm debating between an F5 and ACA front ended by a DCB1 driving a set of DIY speakers and a 10" sub. From what I have read, others report the DCB1 has plenty of drive for dual outputs to an amp and a sub amp. I will run the two main speakers full range (they will probably be smallish bookshelf type) and get a good plate amp for a 10-12" driver. I'm aiming for a sealed sub with a small footprint.

Confirmed with my Fluke 45 that AC ripple is about the same on both channels... about 17mV. I then measured with my new Agilent U1252A handheld DMM (thanks grenert!) and got only 0.5mV. Confused, I whipped out my new to me Tektronix 2465 scope (thanks again to grenert) to see what was going on and saw about 50mV peak to peak which I believe measures to 17mV RMS (Amplitude/sqrt(2)). So I guess bench top DMMs are truly better! And this Agilent DMM is no slouch.

Can someone verify my thinking here?

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan. I'm thinking about building my F4 for the office with a couple small TABAQ speakers. No need for a sub in the office!

I was going to buy a sub amp, but I was thinking about going cheap and using my chip amp as a sub amp. Just needed a way to get the crossover between it and the mains... thus the DCX2496 on the way to me from djdeals.com. I hope. They seem a little on the sketch side. We'll see.

Anyway, I figured this would also give me flexibility to try bi amping or some other sort of configuration in the future.

Interesting that you say you've "lost" your .1 system after moving to DIY. I was looking to make a small, but high quality, 2.1 system for either home or office. I'm debating between an F5 and ACA front ended by a DCB1 driving a set of DIY speakers and a 10" sub. From what I have read, others report the DCB1 has plenty of drive for dual outputs to an amp and a sub amp. I will run the two main speakers full range (they will probably be smallish bookshelf type) and get a good plate amp for a 10-12" driver. I'm aiming for a sealed sub with a small footprint.

Confirmed with my Fluke 45 that AC ripple is about the same on both channels... about 17mV. I then measured with my new Agilent U1252A handheld DMM (thanks grenert!) and got only 0.5mV. Confused, I whipped out my new to me Tektronix 2465 scope (thanks again to grenert) to see what was going on and saw about 50mV peak to peak which I believe measures to 17mV RMS (Amplitude/sqrt(2)). So I guess bench top DMMs are truly better! And this Agilent DMM is no slouch.

Can someone verify my thinking here?

This sounds about right to me. The "typical" small, handheld DMM doesn't really provide the whole picture - many of them are great, but lack an RMS read. In my CRC, I can measure about 200mV on the first C, I drop about 1.7V across 0R2, and then I measure about 5mV on the last C. I'm running ~22v rails at about 8A bias. The funny thing is that bias changes (lowers) as the amp warms up.

Those 100w monoblocks get large and heavy in a hurry, huh? ;) But they sure do sound nice!

Maybe that will be my exercise tonight.

Ha- you're funny. :D A true DIYer is an obsessive compulsive tweaker. ;) Such activities clearly extend beyond a single evening. Thus, you have several weeks of exercise before you (unless your work area isn't the middle of the living room floor after the kids are in bed).

Be careful, or we'll have to revoke your DIY license... :)

I'm considering upgrading to jfet front end but I'm not sure I'm up to the task. Instead, I think I'll work on the 10 other projects in various states of completion. Anyone care to vote for F4 or penultimate Zen 4? They're next up. I also need a small speaker project to go with the F4. Was thinking tabaq or some other single driver design. Open to suggestions.

Upgrading the Aleph-X front end is my next project. I've just ordered some JFETs from Spencer and am waiting for them to arrive. Between these and others that I've picked up and matched on my own, I have enough for my Aleph-X amps, an F5 build, and a few DCB1 boards that I have. William and Graeme have been very helpful in helping me understand the process of replacing the 9610s with JFETs. As I begin the actual work, I'll update this section of my web page. Given all of the other things going on in life, this is likely to take another few weeks to months...

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
ZV4 or F4? Wow - those are two designs I really like... It's hard to choose!

The F4 can use your F5 PSU, so it's likely easier to make...

The ZV4 is an older design that hasn't had much attention in a long time -- It could probably use the love!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.