oneplustwo Aleph X build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jeezus, these are going to be big:

7367391492_3fa592193a.jpg

7367390814_69bd218ce2.jpg

7182157795_826f0984ea.jpg

I think I'm going to put the amp board in the back left close to the inputs/outputs to minimize the wiring from the jacks. The IEC and AC wiring will go along the opposite side. That will mean the wiring to and from the daughter boards will not be symmetrical, but I don't think that will be an issue.

I'm also still considering making the PSU a separate enclosure but that is a lot of extra work...

The total for the heat sinks and the transformers was a little over $600 all in. The trafos are $84 each and very heavy, so about $400 total for 8 works out to about $50 each. Similar sinks from Heatsink USA would have been a little less but they don't do anodizing. So yah... can't believe it. That's a lot of cost in heat sinks.

Good news is I found a nice piece of scrap 1/4" aluminum sheet for super cheap that I'll use for the bottom tie pieces so I'll save some money there. Not sure what I'm going to do about the top, front, and bottom yet. Might just do the same thing I did for my F5 but have the power button in place of the F5 logo. Will need to go to the lumber yard for some scraps as well! I may do the front in aluminum too though. We'll see... might depend on how far I can stretch my scrap sheet of aluminum.

The parts look impressive. I really like your work and I will follow you closely on this one, as I did on you F5 build.

Parmetal has nice items, but their charges for extras could have been a bit more modest. Anodizing per piece costs as much as the sink itself.
And if you add pretapping and shipping costs (especially to Europe), it quickly builds up.

I am still trying to decide if I will choose these or a hifi2000 chassis.

By the way, were did you get the pcbs? ebay?

Yes... the details do certainly add up in a build of this size. Just the stupid silpads alone are going to be a good chunk of change. Would the hifi chassis offer enough heat sinking?

Yes, the boards were ebay. The build quality is nice. And I made my obligatory donation (penance) to diyaudio as well. =)

Well it s not cheaper but for a bit more money you get a full chassis. Oh and they also have separate heatsinks in the spare parts category.
And from what I understand they come anodized and pre-drilled as well.
Also the shipping cost should be significantly smaller for Europe (~20 euros vs ~90 from parmetal)

Anyway, sorry for the offtopic :)

Quick question again.
PSU pcbs? again from ebay? Unfortunately the store ones cannot cannot fit so big caps in sixes. Maybe only four. Unless I use 2 of them, one normally and one as a cap bank for a CCCRC configuration... We ll see when the time comes :)

If you are still looking for isolation pads, I got these from mouser
189790F00000 Aavid Thermalloy | Mouser

They seem pretty decent until now.

Quick question again.
PSU pcbs? again from ebay? Unfortunately the store ones cannot cannot fit so big caps in sixes. Maybe only four. Unless I use 2 of them, one normally and one as a cap bank for a CCCRC configuration... We ll see when the time comes :)

If you are still looking for isolation pads, I got these from mouser
189790F00000 Aavid Thermalloy | Mouser

They seem pretty decent until now.

yes it looks like e-bay PCB's. same PCB's are also sold by chipamp.com for 9$pc.

Attachments

• DSC00316.JPG
    DSC00316.JPG
    853.1 KB · Views: 284
Oh and just noticed. The modushop ones are small (20cm or 30cm). So you need 8 per channel...
So it s actually the same cost. In parmetal you pay them twice for the anodizing, in modushop you pay it for the size... I guess we could live with natural look :D
but it s still the shipping cost in the middle...
I ll probably go for an entire case...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.