Volume attenuator resistance question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was under the impression that I could measure a variable resistance thru the RCA input in my preamplifier with a meter as the attenuator was rotated. The attenuator is connected to this input.

Well, it turned out the resistance was the same irrespective of the control rotation.

I was expecting to have a zero to 50K reading, so how is the signal attenuated then? Or, am I doing something wrong.
Thanks

you are doing something wrong :D

Without doing a drawing, imagine the RCA input going to the TOP end of the potentiometer - so one will measure 50K (or whatever) to ground.

The WIPER then goes on into the amplifier. allowing a proportion of the signal from 100% to 0% to pass through, without affecting (loading) the source.

Usually that wiper tapping is connected to the next stage with a series capacitor.
That capacitor appears to DC as an infinite resistance.

A meter measuring at DC will simply measure the resistance top to bottom of the vol pot and ignore what is beyond the DC blocking capacitor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.