Will This Enclosure Work For F5/F6?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
After custom machining my own case for my F5 I'm looking to take the easy way out on the upcoming F6 and purchase a case. I've found a couple of potential candidates but there's always the question of heatsink size. The first is from SiliconRay.

RE4015 400 x 150 x 373 Aluminum Enclosure - Boards | Kits | Components | Modules | Tools

Nice well ventilated case. I'm waiting to hear back on exact heatsink dimensions.

The second case I found in a post in which Zen Mod responded that it would work for an F5. This case is cheaper but appears to have smaller heatsinks than the first case.

Power Amplifier DIY HiFi Case Heatsink Chassis Black | eBay

Thoughts anyone?

Regards,
Dan :)

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Regarding the Antek case...

I'm going to say no, only based on experience. My F5 heat sinks are 13"x8"x2" each and use 4 of them, two per channel. When the F5 gets warmed up after about an hour or two, the heat sinks are hot. It gets close to the "...if you can hold your hand on it for 5 seconds" rule. In the summer, can only hold hand to it for 5-6 seconds.

You want some padding to have an amp with a longer life span. It's a shame, because it's a real nice case for the money and Antek is a great place to do business with, but it's just not right for this project, in my opinion. Someone else may disagree with some exacting scientific principle.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi VDI :) Long time no speak :) Yes, we'll soon have some great chassis available and we're just about to place the order having finalized the details, but as it's coming by sea it will take around 2 months to see it in the store. The new diyAudio store has a form on the front page you can fill in to get notified of new stuff in the future. The diyAB "Honey Badger" AB amp will however be in stock in the US within a few days, along with a power supply board and a soft start / speaker protection board.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Regarding the Antek case...

I'm going to say no, only based on experience. My F5 heat sinks are 13"x8"x2" each and use 4 of them, two per channel. When the F5 gets warmed up after about an hour or two, the heat sinks are hot. It gets close to the "...if you can hold your hand on it for 5 seconds" rule. In the summer, can only hold hand to it for 5-6 seconds.

You want some padding to have an amp with a longer life span. It's a shame, because it's a real nice case for the money and Antek is a great place to do business with, but it's just not right for this project, in my opinion. Someone else may disagree with some exacting scientific principle.

Strange, is this a stock F-5? Mine uses 2 M&M Metals heat sinks, about the same size, I only use 1 per channel and you can keep your hand on it as long as you want. I believe they are 12" x 8", fins just over 2"...yes I have measured temp on the mosfet.

Russellc

Joined 2000
Paid Member
This is directly from the F5 article.

Heat Sinking
At 1.3 amps per channel, you will see idle heat dissipation of 62 watts. To keep the temperature rise of the heat sink to 20 deg C. above the ambient temperature, you will want a heat sink rated at about .6 deg C./watt for each transistor. An example of this would be a chunk of finned aluminum, with a series of 2” fins attached to an 8” by 6” base. You will need two per channel.

If you were to stack the above described heat sink, you'd have a 8"x12"x2" heat sink, or 16"x6"x2" side by side.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.