Solar-Powered XA30.5? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2012, 01:39 PM   #1
oltos is offline oltos  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Solar-Powered XA30.5?

Who will accept the challenge?
Old 21st April 2012, 02:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

not me. i like to play at night
Old 21st April 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Solar-Powered XA30.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
not me. i like to play at night

No more so than I! I can't wait to buy my 30.5 but I also feel that since it wastes at least 200 watts idling or not-plus the 1 hour initial warm up that the 30.5 wastes to give best sound quality-that a solar power source would make it a more cost effective and at last earth friendly amp to own.

All of that energy flaring off the sun but with just a one time investment of the right capacity panels, batteries, DC-to AC converter/power monitor and solar/house power switcher we can feed our Class A beasts free, guiltless green power forever. Its actually hard to be believe that apparently none of the brilliant Pass Labs DIYers here have done this yet.
Old 21st April 2012, 06:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

With the right batt's you wouldent need AC/DC converter.
No need for the xformer or caps either.
Almost everything in a house runs on dc.
If you decide to go ahead I have numbers for the parts from realy reliable companys.
The place I work for uses them for some railroad crossings.
You can bet they have to be top notch for that!
Old 21st April 2012, 08:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=sakellogg;2995211]With the right batt's you wouldent need AC/DC converter.
No need for the xformer or caps either.
Almost everything in a house runs on dc.

Yes, of course as it's DC that drives the amplifier, the transformer and filter caps could be bypassed-provided that the batteries could be properly interfaced to the 30.5's regulator or whatever keeps the DC stable and clean enough. But I only meant that using an AC/DC converter between the batts and the x-former seems like the best approach for those like me who at least know that they're not stupid enough to disassemble or modify their $$$ amp without a total understanding of what they're doing and the possible consequences-which may include getting zapped in the process (Duh!). But if someone does build a complete 200+ watt solar power system to run the 30.5 (plus the 15 watts it takes to keep it in standby mode), I hope they will post the plans here.
Old 21st April 2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

not me Bubba

too easy* , besides money for panels

*I don't need more than 10W/16R
Old 21st April 2012, 10:53 PM   #7
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by oltos View Post
No more so than I! I can't wait to buy my 30.5 but I also feel that since it wastes at least 200 watts idling or not-plus the 1 hour initial warm up that the 30.5 wastes to give best sound quality-that a solar power source would make it a more cost effective and at last earth friendly amp to own.

All of that energy flaring off the sun but with just a one time investment of the right capacity panels, batteries, DC-to AC converter/power monitor and solar/house power switcher we can feed our Class A beasts free, guiltless green power forever. Its actually hard to be believe that apparently none of the brilliant Pass Labs DIYers here have done this yet.
200 watts is the cost of running two bulbs?
Old 21st April 2012, 11:17 PM   #8
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Been there with battery power.......... but modding a 30.5?
Look at the costs, amp must be about $5K (?), add in a big cell array...... some thing like fork-lift cells would do it, say another $5 - $7k, solar array $?.
Better off buying an economical car, money saved on fuel will pay the extra on your electric bill
Old 21st April 2012, 11:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Right, like i'm in deep-deep need for "earth friendly" electrical power right now.
Gwd-dmn cornered on all sides by aliens is what it is !

(For solar juice, you'll have to wait a couple of years for the >50% efficiency nanoo-nanoo panels to reach the market. Will be cheaper per kW than the wall tap, no jokey)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maasvlakte.jpg (11.0 KB, 222 views)
Old 21st April 2012, 11:27 PM   #10
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Right, like i'm in deep-deep need for "earth friendly" electrical power right now.
Gwd-dmn cornered on all sides by aliens is what it is !

(For solar juice, you'll have to wait a couple of years for the >50% efficiency nanoo-nanoo panels to reach the market. Will be cheaper per kW than the wall tap, no jokey)
I am interested in these panels so I googled the company or technology nanoo-nanoo, this is what got this as a first hit

Urban Dictionary: nanoo nanoo

you got any links regarding these new panels?

Hide this!Advertise here!