Solar-Powered XA30.5?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2012
Paid Member
not me. i like to play at night :D

No more so than I! I can't wait to buy my 30.5 but I also feel that since it wastes at least 200 watts idling or not-plus the 1 hour initial warm up that the 30.5 wastes to give best sound quality-that a solar power source would make it a more cost effective and at last earth friendly amp to own.

All of that energy flaring off the sun but with just a one time investment of the right capacity panels, batteries, DC-to AC converter/power monitor and solar/house power switcher we can feed our Class A beasts free, guiltless green power forever. Its actually hard to be believe that apparently none of the brilliant Pass Labs DIYers here have done this yet.

With the right batt's you wouldent need AC/DC converter.
No need for the xformer or caps either.
Almost everything in a house runs on dc.
If you decide to go ahead I have numbers for the parts from realy reliable companys.
The place I work for uses them for some railroad crossings.
You can bet they have to be top notch for that!

Joined 2012
Paid Member
With the right batt's you wouldent need AC/DC converter.
No need for the xformer or caps either.
Almost everything in a house runs on dc.

Yes, of course as it's DC that drives the amplifier, the transformer and filter caps could be bypassed-provided that the batteries could be properly interfaced to the 30.5's regulator or whatever keeps the DC stable and clean enough. But I only meant that using an AC/DC converter between the batts and the x-former seems like the best approach for those like me who at least know that they're not stupid enough to disassemble or modify their $$$ amp without a total understanding of what they're doing and the possible consequences-which may include getting zapped in the process (Duh!). But if someone does build a complete 200+ watt solar power system to run the 30.5 (plus the 15 watts it takes to keep it in standby mode), I hope they will post the plans here.

No more so than I! I can't wait to buy my 30.5 but I also feel that since it wastes at least 200 watts idling or not-plus the 1 hour initial warm up that the 30.5 wastes to give best sound quality-that a solar power source would make it a more cost effective and at last earth friendly amp to own.

All of that energy flaring off the sun but with just a one time investment of the right capacity panels, batteries, DC-to AC converter/power monitor and solar/house power switcher we can feed our Class A beasts free, guiltless green power forever. Its actually hard to be believe that apparently none of the brilliant Pass Labs DIYers here have done this yet.

200 watts is the cost of running two bulbs?

Been there with battery power.......... but modding a 30.5?
Look at the costs, amp must be about $5K (?), add in a big cell array...... some thing like fork-lift cells would do it, say another $5 - $7k, solar array $?.
Better off buying an economical car, money saved on fuel will pay the extra on your electric bill

Right, like i'm in deep-deep need for "earth friendly" electrical power right now.
Gwd-dmn cornered on all sides by aliens is what it is !

(For solar juice, you'll have to wait a couple of years for the >50% efficiency nanoo-nanoo panels to reach the market. Will be cheaper per kW than the wall tap, no jokey)

Attachments

• maasvlakte.jpg
    maasvlakte.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 249
Right, like i'm in deep-deep need for "earth friendly" electrical power right now.
Gwd-dmn cornered on all sides by aliens is what it is !

(For solar juice, you'll have to wait a couple of years for the >50% efficiency nanoo-nanoo panels to reach the market. Will be cheaper per kW than the wall tap, no jokey)

I am interested in these panels so I googled the company or technology nanoo-nanoo, this is what got this as a first hit:)

Urban Dictionary: nanoo nanoo

you got any links regarding these new panels?

nice work, pity its still reliant on batteries.
A guy I worked with has just built a home that is off the grid, cant make toast or boil the jug easily, but can use an LED TV for 3 hours a day , run a PC and microwave oven. No sunday roast, quick cup of tea or toast:-(

My boat has diesels that chunk out the CO2/mile equivalent of a dozen I-talian supercars, at 80-90 % MCR a few hundred, does toast too.
I invest cash in plastic, not trees. One fine day, plastic stock will skyrocket. :clown:

(at a dingy pic gloaters forum they'd say it's not a boat, but a yacht, wainkers)

My boat has diesels that chunk out the CO2/mile equivalent of a dozen I-talian supercars, at 80-90 % MCR a few hundred, does toast too.
I invest cash in plastic, not trees. One fine day, plastic stock will skyrocket. :clown:

(at a dingy pic gloaters forum they'd say it's not a boat, but a yacht, wainkers)

You've lost me, is plastic going to be valuable post oil?
How big is your boat, sounds like you got more than one diesel engine:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.