B1 buffer DC at output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2012, 11:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default B1 buffer DC at output

I originally posted this in another thread and it quickly got buried, so I will attempt to repost it here.

I recently completed my B1 build and I was wondering if it's normal to get fluctuating DC at the output (measured across R105 and R205) with music playing through it. With no signal running through my B1 the offset is steady around 5mV, but if I hook up a CDP and amp and play music the DC fluctuates to around 40.

I am using a 24v regulated linear power supply that is rated to put out 300mA if that matters. All components have been checked for proper placement and no cold solder joints were noted.

Thanks in advance
Old 30th June 2013, 05:32 PM   #2
clm811 is offline clm811  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DC at outputs of B1

I recently measured my B1 and the DC on the outputs at turn-on ramps up to almost 3.5 volts!

Then it slowly decreases to 0 volts over about a 15-20 second period...

What could be wrong with my B1?

TIA

-Chas
Old 1st July 2013, 09:21 AM   #3
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Nothing wrong.
The capacitors need to charge up to half rail voltage.
They need current to do this and will pull current from anywhere they can find it. Even the input to the next stage in the audio string.

The big resistors that hold the inputs and outputs at near zero volts DC can only supply very low currents.

You need a mute/unmute on the output of the B1 if you want to do LIVE Power ON.
Old 1st July 2013, 09:24 AM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehmbo View Post
I originally posted this in another thread and it quickly got buried, so I will attempt to repost it here.

I recently completed my B1 build and I was wondering if it's normal to get fluctuating DC at the output (measured across R105 and R205) with music playing through it. With no signal running through my B1 the offset is steady around 5mV, but if I hook up a CDP and amp and play music the DC fluctuates to around 40.

I am using a 24v regulated linear power supply that is rated to put out 300mA if that matters. All components have been checked for proper placement and no cold solder joints were noted.

Thanks in advance
Your voltmeter is an average reading type.
It takes samples of the voltage at the test point and averages them.

If you have a combination of DC & AC voltages then the averaging will be taking account of the very variable AC Audio signal. The accuracy of the DC reading is being completely swamped by the variable and very large AC Audio signal.

Hide this!Advertise here!