Pearl Phono 1 - diagnostic help please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, I am stumped on fixing a problem with my self-built Pearl Phono v1.

Any comments would be great however cursory, please.

The right channel has stopped working.

Both channels were working but when trying to root out some hum problems the right channel died. It *might* have been related to my plugging in interconnects while the amp was powered up.

All voltages on Fig 5 “The Unsimplified Circuit” of the Pearl Phono Stage article check out (within a bit of variance) except around Q4 (ZXT450) and Q6 (2SK389), where I get the following voltages:

Fig 5: 19.3v
Left ch: 18.5v
Right ch: 1.126v

Fig 5: 14v
Left ch: 14.4v
Right ch: 1.833v

Fig 5: 13.4v
Left ch: 13.9v
Right ch: 1.112v

Fig 5: 0.05v
Left ch: 0.11v
Right ch: 0.30v

The right channel is the dead one. I first replaced Q4 – it made no difference.

I then figured it must be Q6 and replaced Q6. It made no difference.

At this point I ran out of ideas.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. (The voltages shown above are the current circuit values – after replacing Q4 and Q6).

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The base of Q4 should be fixed at half supply. Heavy current due to a short can pull it low through the emitter. The gate of Q6 should have almost no voltage unless Q6 is bad or the coupling cap is leak and that is pretty rare for a film cap.

Typically the jfet blows and takes the ZTX with it; this is the very most common failure for the pearl. In that case replace both as otherwise the remaining damaged jfet will again take down the ZTX.

where DO you get a genuine 2SK389?

The K389 is not needed in this position, you can as good use the K170BL or even selected K369GR. These also have twice the power dissipation of the single jfets in the K389, so reliability will no longer be a problem with these replacements.

Hannes

Last edited:
Typically the jfet blows and takes the ZTX with it; this is the very most common failure for the pearl. ....

Ha! NOW I discover this! :) I have been alternately blowing each one when I replace the other....

Anyway, I have bought 25 K170BL and will replace Q4 (ZTX450) and Q6 (with a matched pair of 170's) together and report back.

Thanks again all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.