Semi'DIY - converting SIT2 to SIT 1 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2012, 04:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Semi'DIY - converting SIT2 to SIT 1

Being cheap and somewhat handy one considers getting an SIT 2 and then converting to SIT 1.

It would seem easy enough to add a power supply, getting two proper heatsinks and the resistors to replace the current source. Finding a meter could not be too difficult.

Almost forgot the potentiometer!

The trick will be knowing what to do.

Needless to say the finished product would not be anywhere as attractive as the real product but it could make a difference for the less well heeled.

Any chance of a project like this getting a semi-blessing from Mr. Pass?

Bye,
Old 3rd April 2012, 05:20 PM   #2
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't understand why someone would muck with a perfectly good amp made by Papa himself. Not only is it expensive, it is also a work of art. You don't go about adding brush strokes to a Picaso because it doesn't do enough for you, do you?

If you are so intent to play with SITs, why not follow the L'amp articles here and build something from scratch?

Also the SIT2 is a stereo amp, SIT1 are monoblocks. Have you figured out the logistics? It's going to be messy, not worth it in my mind.
Old 3rd April 2012, 05:37 PM   #3
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

what a truly strange idea
Old 3rd April 2012, 05:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default That is a perfectly valid opinion

but there is the matter of five thousand dollars.

Somehow I feel messing around with an SIT1 is more like defacing a work of art. The SIT2's are a stepping stone to Pass's best expression, so far, of the technology.

So a better analogy would be adding pencil strokes to a sketch.

I have committed to getting a pair of SIT1's. My curiosity is for those who may not want to spend that much money.

If I thought those other projects would come close to the SIT1 I might pursue them but I feel confident they will not.

The idea was to get the best sound for the money. The idea being the amp could be returned to its original condition if that was wanted.
Old 3rd April 2012, 05:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
but there is the matter of five thousand dollars.

Somehow I feel messing around with an SIT1 is more like defacing a work of art. The SIT2's are a stepping stone to Pass's best expression, so far, of the technology.

So a better analogy would be adding pencil strokes to a sketch.

I have committed to getting a pair of SIT1's. My curiosity is for those who may not want to spend that much money.

If I thought those other projects would come close to the SIT1 I might pursue them but I feel confident they will not.

The idea was to get the best sound for the money. The idea being the amp could be returned to its original condition if that was wanted.
returned to its original condition? you are talking about doubling the size of the amp and adding dual mono power supplies at least, or monoblock chassis ideally. you would be a good way towards that price difference by the time you were done. Papa is definitely the master here and OMG those heatsinks are sexy, but anyone wanting to save that money who is competent at DIY should just build their own
Old 3rd April 2012, 06:25 PM   #6
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Save what money? The Pass Sit-1 device apparently costs $5000(2X) and comes with an amplifier. The 2SK82 is no where near the same device? And comes with a wide tolerance, very little application guidence, and no garuntee you will have anything good sounding(other than a handfull of DIYers comments). What are you saying?
Unlike Piccaso, there are many copies of this amp, something like a repair if your "brush" screws something up is also infferred.
I can't afford this approach myself but, I can tell you, many competitors buy your stuff and take it apart to study and test it. Beleive me!
Old 3rd April 2012, 09:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Rick,

Just go here L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

This is the closest anyone will get to the sound of a SIT1 or 2 without shelling out the big cash.

Quote:
and no garuntee you will have anything good sounding(other than a handfull of DIYers comments).
There is no guarantee everyone will like the SIT1 or SIT2 either.
I don't know anyone personally who's heard the SIT amps, so I'll stick with my fellow DIYers opinions on how the L'amp variations sound.
Old 5th April 2012, 11:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flg View Post
Save what money? The Pass Sit-1 device apparently costs $5000(2X) and comes with an amplifier. The 2SK82 is no where near the same device? And comes with a wide tolerance, very little application guidence, and no garuntee you will have anything good sounding(other than a handfull of DIYers comments). What are you saying?
Unlike Piccaso, there are many copies of this amp, something like a repair if your "brush" screws something up is also infferred.
I can't afford this approach myself but, I can tell you, many competitors buy your stuff and take it apart to study and test it. Beleive me!
I wasnt suggesting money could be saved to get the same result; i'm not qualified to comment there. i'm on record here at the forum many times telling people who have joined and with the intention to DIY with the main intention being to save money, that this is folly and mostly not on the cards. the main reasons being to have fun making it and being in charge to spend the money and focus attention on the aspects that matter most to you.

I only meant if he didnt have the money (seems like the only reason one would even consider such an endeavor as the thread subject) he could perhaps do something DIY that might get close with other (mostly NOS) devices; something like the amps mentioned above. As you say the device is not even available, so DIYing the amp is not a possibility

Last edited by qusp; 5th April 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 5th April 2012, 12:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm really not sure what the point here is either?
Old 5th April 2012, 02:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

O.K. I guess he just want's to attempt to improve the stereo version by rebuilding it into 2 mono versions?

Hide this!Advertise here!