Cloned Pass Cases - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 30th March 2012, 02:19 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Why not alter it to make it unique to the guy producing it.

Its the chassis and the heatsinks which make it useful and attractive to the DIY community. The producer could quite legally just offer his own front panel.

Old 30th March 2012, 02:20 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheairbroadcast View Post
Dan, what about the boards in there? Just curious about the $1k case... is it with or without boards and what kind of boards are those? Old boards with a current case or current boards with a current case? or just the case for $1k? Don't leave me hanging...
Quote:
what model do you want i have x1, x2, x0.2(3 of case) ,xono (2 of case), power supply case ,xa 160.5(mono or stereo) ,xa 200.5(mono or stereo) pre amp for($230) power amp for xa 160.5 ($880) xa 200.5($980)
Regards,
Dan

Old 30th March 2012, 02:37 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantwomey View Post
Regards,
Dan
Wow danwomey... that dude you got this info from is ballsy. I thought it was one case, but nopers. Well, at that price versus what the real XA200.5 go for, I would venture a guess that those boards are there for decoration (I hope).

And as katieanddad pointed out, he could easily replace the front panel with something else and really make some diy'ers happy. Heck, I would be happy with the fitted case, custom heatsinks, and matched connectors. Make my own faceplate (send it out) and not masquerade my own sourced and poorly cold-soldered components as a Pass Lab XA200.5.

Well, I hope that this sorts itself out. It is a crappy situation to be in.

Another thought though, if the respectful DIY community stayed away from this offering as it is given (with that unique faceplate), would it be enough to starve out the supplier? To make this thing fly, the seller would need to make and sell a large bunch of these, to be economically feasible. Otherwise he'd have to abandon the venture.

Old 30th March 2012, 02:45 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheairbroadcast View Post

Not sure if you can patent a case unless it was novel and unique. I think that the whole package on how it work as a unit can be protected. You can copyright the image though. But it means money.

There are two basic flavors of patents...utility patents and design patents, utlility patents have to be novel, unique, non-obvious, etc.

Patenting how something works is covered in a utility patent, usually with device claims and method claims.

Patenting how something looks is done with a design patent (think designer sunglasses, etc); these patents numbers (in the US) start with the letter "D" ie DXXXXX

Old 30th March 2012, 03:35 PM   #15
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice looking. I would like to see a close-up view of the quality & finish. Don't need the fancy faceplate. A single aluminum slab would be great and save money. How about an F5 Turbo V2 case?

Old 30th March 2012, 03:47 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
That's a shame. All that it needs is a different face plate.
But that's the hard part isn't it? That is, being original.

Old 30th March 2012, 04:08 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Face plates aren't difficult to produce. But they can be expensive.

I guess that Nelson would be upset that his innovative artwork is being cloned, ie in contrevention of his copywright.

Anyone could come up with a unique design that any CNC equipped workshop would be happy to produce. I think that $1K is RIDICULOUS. At the most you are looking at 240 GBP in heatsinks (and thats being conservative) and about 100 GBP in alluminium plate, pre-cut, to make the chassis. You might then spend 100 - 200 on the front panel. 540 GBP and that is for a ONE OFF unique design.

If someone is offering to make 100 of the things the costs reduce rapidly.

Looks like someone is trying to profiteer on the Pass design.

Last edited by KatieandDad; 30th March 2012 at 04:28 PM.

Old 30th March 2012, 04:37 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Quote:
I think that $1K is RIDICULOUS
True, but there is the CNC programming and tool setup.
Then there's the cleanup and surfacing of the materials and god knows whatelse.

Then again, what are we talking about here? A ripped off design?
The reason they are charging $1000 is because it is a known, recognizable design.

Old 30th March 2012, 04:55 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

As I said, someone is profiteering off a known design.

CNC / PLC programming is not rocket science. Anyone worth their sole can do ladder programming.

Old 30th March 2012, 05:00 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

As expected Pass Labs has a big problem with this so they'll be no further posts.

Regards,
Dan

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!