Cloned Pass Cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If Pass has no problem, lets do some up like 6L6 says as a group buy, we could always alter the face plate so as not to be violative?

I said something??

Anyway, I have been thinking about a batch of amp cases, but right now it looks like the DIYaudio store is going to go a few steps better with a big custom order from Modushop, with pre-drilled heatsinks and (hopefully) back panels. I'm really looking forward to those!!!!

I only see the possibility of a GB for 2 chassis - something suitable for a Gainclone, and then something huge, and/or fan cooled for the F5v3, Aleph 1.2 or BA or the like. Probably with heatsinks similar to the one on the case that started the thread.

I wholeheartedly endorse making a faceplate that was not a direct copy of the Pass Labs product. Similar perhaps, in that it might have a meter and a second layer to 'frame' things, but certainly different enough to make nobody suspect even for a minute that it's genuine.

Anyway, that faceplate would be really expensive. I doubt many DIY-ers would want to pay for it.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
think in percentage , not in absolute numbers

there is strong probability that every nation have approx. same percentage of guys in mood for steal :clown:

problem is in enormity of Chinese population , so naive soul can think that they're bigger crooks than , say , Americans or Serbs ..... which they certainly aren't .

:rofl:

> there is strong probability that every nation have approx. same percentage of guys in mood for steal. Problem is in enormity of Chinese population , so naive soul can think that they're bigger crooks than , say , Americans or Serbs ..... which they certainly aren't .

Very well said.
And victums of such theft are not exclusively people outside the country.

Patrick

Gees, a DIY GB of high-end cases with our own unique DIY logo..... Just think of the possibilities:

FIRST WHAT......

SECOND WATT.......

WATT DID YOU HEAR.......

CLASSY CLASS A........

CLASSY CHASSIS, EH? (for our Canadian friends.....)

etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum..... Sorry...... Too much good Cabernet tonite...!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
think in percentage , not in absolute numbers

there is strong probability that every nation have approx. same percentage of guys in mood for steal :clown:

problem is in enormity of Chinese population , so naive soul can think that they're bigger crooks than , say , Americans or Serbs ..... which they certainly aren't .

:rofl:

Where did we get the information that this guy is naive? Someone that can reverse engineer and get such a case machined has some degree of brain power going on, plus marketing and distribution knowledge. IP theft is a way of life for some people and they will get away with as much as they can. This guy is probably as naive as a fox!!! :2c:

Am I the only one who thinks there may not be a problem here?
The photo in post 1 shows a case that looks like a Pass case but it does not have a Pass logo on it. So it's a replica. Unless someone's trying to pass it off as a genuine Pass Labs product, I don't see how there can be a legal problem.

Think about cars. There are any number of Lotus 7 and GT40 replicas around and nobody makes a fuss about IP theft regarding them. Same story with glass fiber kit cars that are replicas of e.g. Porches. They look like Porches but they're not real Porches, nobody pretends they are, and there's no problem.

There are any number of Lotus 7 and GT40 replicas around and nobody makes a fuss about IP theft regarding them. Same story with glass fiber kit cars that are replicas of e.g. Porches. They look like Porches but they're not real Porches, nobody pretends they are, and there's no problem.
At the other end of the spectrum you get Harley trying to get rights to the sound of a V-Twin, which they were definitely not even the first to have anyway.

Laws here and loopholes aside, this is an example of a humble business entity being taken advantage of. This humble entity has been kind enough for many years to give this community the fruit of their genius to play with and enjoy with no expectation of royalty. This is an example of outright theft. Oh well international patent law does not apply. Or the patents put forth by the original creator don't clearly define the design of the case to every detail, we know what is right. Stop hiding in the loophole. I know first hand what it is to have a "design" stolen by way of "legal" loophole. It is flattering to only a minimal extent, after that royalties are due. Pass labs should be receiving a portion of every case sold at a minimum. If this is too much too ask then we all as an international community need to re calibrate our view on intellectual property internationally. No easy task but our world is shrinking by way of forums etc like this. This gives us the ability to set many socio ground rules. The right action is sometimes hard to do but we must do it. My 2¢

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Why dont mods remove the thread. The longer it stays, the more likely someone will be doing harm to Nelson.

I don't think that PL can be harmed with this thread , but I'm puzzled how anyone in thread can contemplate about different -allowable-scenarios of having anything with guy who is selling those :

what model do you want i have x1, x2, x0.2(3 of case) ,xono (2 of case), power supply case ,xa 160.5(mono or stereo) ,xa 200.5(mono or stereo) pre amp for($230) power amp for xa 160.5 ($880) xa 200.5($980)

WTF!!??!

"change the faceplate and we'll make a deal with you ........ "

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
ZM "they are yours , even if you didn't lock them on parking place." so true.
look at cola bottles..... noone will ever make a soft drink with the smallest resemblance to this... why is that you think???
Steeling is low anyhow you look at it.. and this case is a ripoff.

I don't think that PL can be harmed with this thread , but I'm puzzled how anyone in thread can contemplate about different -allowable-scenarios of having anything with guy who is selling those :

WTF!!??!

"change the faceplate and we'll make a deal with you ........ "

:eek: :eek: :eek:

You have to consider the fact that if they are cloning his cases, they may very well have bought an amp, torn it down, and begun that process as well. Clearly there are folks here who want to do business with these folks even though they are, in a way, ripping off the very guy who gave them the schematics that they get to build freely. So much for loyalty.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You have to consider the fact that if they are cloning his cases, they may very well have bought an amp, torn it down, and begun that process as well. Clearly there are folks here who want to do business with these folks even though they are, in a way, ripping off the very guy who gave them the schematics that they get to build freely. So much for loyalty.

yup

I'm talking exactly about that .....

well. lets not choop heads witout knowing the facts here.
you don't need the original amp to clone a chassis.
for all yo know, this guy did it in good intentions to give DIY'ers the opportunity
to build a clone that looks original.
not saying he did. but nobody knows for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.