F5 Transformer - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2012, 09:17 PM   #11
fdlsys is offline fdlsys  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Papa said, on the very first page of the F5Turbo article: "RTFM". That goes for both the original F5 and the F5T variants. Voltage options are explained in detail.
You HAVE to invest yourself into this whole DIY concept else the questions will go on exponentially. I really do not mean to offend, but 10 posts later, you are confused and pretty much giving up?
Old 28th March 2012, 12:26 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

You're overlooking a basic rule-of-thumb for power supply design, and perhaps your buddy is, too......

For a properly designed DC power supply, the output (rail) voltage is 1.414 times the input voltage (i.e., the voltage supplied by the transformer secondary winding).

In your case, with a 25 VAC secondary:

25 x 1.414 = 35.35 VDC, per rail.

This is pushing the limit for a "plain vanilla" F5 amp.....which is what the chain of comments (above postings) are telling you.

A hint: If you are missing this simple power supply design point, building the F5 itself may be a challenge for you. You should really study the design topology (and understand it), and know what your bias settings do to the amp in practice. Read the First Watt articles, and browse the (long) F5 thread and F5 Turbo materials. It will help you quite a bit.

If you go with a simple F5, I'd recommend you scrap your current transformer. I'd also recommend you send it to me for proper disposal--but only, of course, if it has dual primaries I can be configured for 120 VAC mains....

Last edited by CanAm Man; 28th March 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 28th March 2012, 03:57 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnkeys View Post
I found one this... seems about right to me. Is that enough current?
Thanks,
DB
Electrical Characteristics

Outputs2x Power300VA Output Voltage Current 18V8.3A
I guess 18 x 1.4 puts me right in the voltage zone.
Thanks,
DB
P.S.
My F5 boards are heat sinked and up and running from my friend's bench power supply. He worked with me through the initial start up as per Pass's instructions.

Hide this!Advertise here!