Aleph 30 the best choice of C1 C2 C3 on brian gt PCB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 11:43 PM   #1
tonimxp is offline tonimxp  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gallarate (VA)
Default Aleph 30 the best choice of C1 C2 C3 on brian gt PCB

Hello, I'm new to this thread and am building a aleph30 of Mr. Nelson, thank you for all of us Mr.(Papa) I would need to know this:
1) Why use a 220uF capacitor for C1, polarized electrolytic type?
2) Why only on the rail (-IN) input and not also on the rail (+IN)?
3) Is possible a little meditation on these capacitors, their job so ..what to use for their for best performance (perhaps using different types for each specific case)?
Please...sorry for my English!
Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aleph BGT.jpg (144.2 KB, 932 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 06:30 AM   #2
vivanco is offline vivanco  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I too had the same doubt, it seemed very strange circuit, quite rightly, very noble, presents the signal path of an electrolytic capacitor, unless, in the balanced circuitry (I do not know the best) , the question changes.
I am very curious what will be the answers on many of the gurus in this exceptional forum.
thanks and greetings to all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Murdoc is offline Murdoc  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Paderborn
Hi Tonimxp,

I asked similar questions some time ago an so I got the advise to look at Technical Articles and read the articles there several times. It first was not very satisfactory, but after a while I was glad about the huge amount of knowledge hidden in the articles.
I'm not fair if I point you to the zen article #9, as I would deny you a lot of answers of future questions. So my advice once again to read them all, several times, as you grasp every time something new.
If any questions are left, the aleph j thread is a big source for these questions.
As I'm a newbie, too, some guru might drop a line here.

Kind regards,
Matthias
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 09:40 AM   #4
tonimxp is offline tonimxp  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gallarate (VA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
Hi Tonimxp,

I asked similar questions some time ago an so I got the advise to look at Technical Articles and read the articles there several times. It first was not very satisfactory, but after a while I was glad about the huge amount of knowledge hidden in the articles.
I'm not fair if I point you to the zen article #9, as I would deny you a lot of answers of future questions. So my advice once again to read them all, several times, as you grasp every time something new.
If any questions are left, the aleph j thread is a big source for these questions.
As I'm a newbie, too, some guru might drop a line here.

Kind regards,
Matthias
Thanks Murdoc, as soon as i will read the news of aleph J, thanks again!
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 03:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bakersfield Ca
Hopefully the mentioned reading will fulfill you explanation of their use, as to the actual caps I have made a few amps in fact have a pair on my bench and have been very happy with the Elna simlic caps. Be aware the board silkscreen is incorrect on polarity of one of the caps be sure to refer to the schematic as to witch one and its orientation. Good luck you will have a quite pleasing amp on completion.

Bill
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 03:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
no they are not. thats 5years ago or something.
the silkscreen is correct.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 04:01 PM   #7
tonimxp is offline tonimxp  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gallarate (VA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewiggler View Post
Hopefully the mentioned reading will fulfill you explanation of their use, as to the actual caps I have made a few amps in fact have a pair on my bench and have been very happy with the Elna simlic caps. Be aware the board silkscreen is incorrect on polarity of one of the caps be sure to refer to the schematic as to witch one and its orientation. Good luck you will have a quite pleasing amp on completion.

Bill
Hi!Bill,thanks for your reply,please what do you think about this kind of Elna caps?
Only for C1 and C2 use
ELNA CE-BP 220uF 16V BI POLAR CAPACITOR *NEW*
Number ebay item: 260815852652
Or these
Nichicon BP 220uF 25V MUSE ES BI-POLARIZED for Audio Capacitor Caps
Number ebay item: 140618205767
For c3 instead I thought I would use this:
220UF/50V NICHICON AUDIO
Number ebay item:110848683218
Thanks in advance to all of you!
P.S. Please for everybody what is the cap with silkscreen incorrect?
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 04:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
there is no incorrect silkscreen. that was a long time ago.
panasonic FE caps is a good one for all 3.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 04:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lyon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
there is no incorrect silkscreen. that was a long time ago.
panasonic FE caps is a good one for all 3.
Yes, those parts are feeding my MiniA for 2 years.
Have fun
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 09:01 PM   #10
tonimxp is offline tonimxp  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gallarate (VA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
there is no incorrect silkscreen. that was a long time ago.
panasonic FE caps is a good one for all 3.
Hi!Please Panasonic FE or FC?
Is there a better alternative for c1?
I'd be thinking using too this 10NF/63V WIMA CAPACITORS ( FKP2 ) connected in parallel of the c1-c2-c3,might be a good idea to you?
Thanks.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brian GT Aleph and PS boards mattattnet Swap Meet 2 17th September 2011 02:10 AM
Axials for C1/C2 on SSE? dr0ss Tubelab 5 28th August 2010 08:50 AM
Aleph 5 with Brian GT boards. (help) edoirt Pass Labs 11 31st July 2006 05:15 PM
C1 and C2 in BoSoZ ruangrit Pass Labs 3 29th January 2003 03:06 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:26 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2