Aleph 30 the best choice of C1 C2 C3 on brian gt PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am positively shocked:eek:

in my mini Aleph I made the following changes :

i state that the power supply is constituted by 18-0-18 VDC with filter CRC 60000uF / five parallel resistors 3.9 ohms 3W

1 - substitution of the value of R14 and R16 with 750 ohms
2 - replacement of C2 (there was a 220uF panasonic FC) with two gold Mundorf silver oil 22uF and two Arcotronics MKP 10uF, mounted in parallel to achieve a total capacity of 64uF (I've assembled them all on a breadboard and with solid core pure silver I connected to pads of the pCB)

result: never heard anything like it so far:hypno1:

1. change of these resistors will not have influence of sonic
your amp was perfectly OK with 2x1k5 - on 18V PSU

2.that cap must be good one ; better cap , better sound

zen ok, now everything is clear to me,,,,the magnificent sound is obtained by replacing the electrolytic capacitor with polypropylene quality and the removal of C1 and R10.
thank you for all the advice you dispense.;)

I ask one last thing, if there is any downside in having changed upon 220uF with 64uF,,or for the fact that the 64uF are high quality, do not you feel the decrease in capacity

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
just put that 220uF back , along with these caps

it's clever to have low impedance AC path there

I;m using 470uF Elna/125C (dunno which series) , bypassed with 100nF MKC

even better - leave 220uF in , and put just one Mundorf in parallel

then listen

then desolder Mundorf and put hefty MKC instead and listen

I think that you'll find better place for Mundorfs , where you need both capacity and high voltage

short C1 you don't need it

pull out R10 , you don't need it

for C3 use decent cap

for C2 use Silmic , bypass it with 100nF MKC (polycarbonat)
- Why remove C1 & R10? with assumption that every single parts that PAPA designed have their function, is this C1 as DC blocker?

Silmic is good for Papa

it's good for me too , especially bypassed with MKC

just say that most expensive Blackgate isn't better in that position

been there , done that

:clown:

I just got 6 BG F 220uF, it's interesting that you prefer Silmic rather than BG where most people will do the opposite way :D I'll try this tweak later. Which MKC do you use? Vishay :headbash: ? it will cost you more than Silmic, not a balance thing to me if bypass caps have higher price than main caps :eek:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
simple
Aleph J is better than older cousin Aleph 30

Babelfish J is nothing else than derivation of Aleph J

both p1.7 and bosoz are easy to made and useful and necessary step in learning how to build and how/what to listen

After aleph30 ,i'm thinking to build a preamplifier with the same signature (Mr.Nelson Pass),so..my problem now is to decide if to do a Bosoz or a Alpeh p1.7.
If i think at minimalism i think at the bosoz......have you had the possibility of compare them ?
If yes can you say me something about?

ZM, regarding your long journey with component testing, do you have any suggestion on resistor choices?full metal or full carbon or mixed?which R is metal or carbon?

also choices from dale,takman,holco,kiwame, or other brand? although subjective listening result will lead to some taste anyway, but at least it can give overall review

My square wave isn't square....

I just noticed that my mini-A has a lot of ringing on a 10Khz square wave.......

Do I need to increase the value of the gate R's or something else?

Attachments

• mini A ringing.JPG
    mini A ringing.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 431
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.