Aleph 30 the best choice of C1 C2 C3 on brian gt PCB - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2012, 04:05 PM   #111
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
you got it !

__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa... by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 08:10 PM   #112
tonimxp is offline tonimxp  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gallarate (VA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
If I had one I would try it......I'm going to do the other channel and listen for a while.

I'll order a few values on my next Digikey order.
Hi!BW some good news after mod?
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 09:27 PM   #113
diyAudio Member
 
boywonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: So.Cal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimxp View Post
Hi!BW some good news after mod?
Yes, it sounds quite nice. It's in my main rig presently, and I don't think I can mod it any further with the transformers that I've got. I suppose that I could reduce the source R's for more current but my rails are already about 13.8V. I also replaced the generic bridges with FREDs. It has a very tiny bit of sibilance compared to my 300B amp and great imaging; I'll be comparing it to my 300B SET over the next few weeks. It now gets quite warm but I can keep my hand on it indefinitely (barely, though).
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 12:27 PM   #114
tonimxp is offline tonimxp  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gallarate (VA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Yes, it sounds quite nice. It's in my main rig presently, and I don't think I can mod it any further with the transformers that I've got. I suppose that I could reduce the source R's for more current but my rails are already about 13.8V. I also replaced the generic bridges with FREDs. It has a very tiny bit of sibilance compared to my 300B amp and great imaging; I'll be comparing it to my 300B SET over the next few weeks. It now gets quite warm but I can keep my hand on it indefinitely (barely, though).
Hi!If the comparation is with a 300b amplifier based i think it is a big target!
But have you noted some differences with (C4/R15 net) changed value in terms of sound?
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 02:25 PM   #115
diyAudio Member
 
boywonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: So.Cal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimxp View Post
Hi!If the comparation is with a 300b amplifier based i think it is a big target!
But have you noted some differences with (C4/R15 net) changed value in terms of sound?
I'm comparing it to a 300B SET mostly because they are about the same wattage (8W). I'm running 95db sens FR speakers (Half Changs with TB 1772's in them presently). I like the 300B amp better, but the mini is really nice, it was a fun project.

I imagine that the mini has lots more damping factor than my triode tube amps, but I'm also using a subwoofer so in terms of bass I usually have to readjust the sub a little when I switch amps anyway. This could be a combo of DF differences and amp input sensitivity differences.

I'd Like to think that changing C4 has reduced sibilance and helped the imaging but that may just be my imagination.

Last edited by boywonder; 18th April 2012 at 02:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 10:07 AM   #116
vivanco is offline vivanco  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I have finished the construction of my ALEPH 30, I think I did a good job, because the sound that the amp produces is excellent, dynamic and reconstruction of the stage at very high;
actually, what I read about this amp on the high power dissipation, corresponds to reality, in fact my aleph very hot after a few minutes;
I still want to ask a question relative to the supply voltage, ie, there are contraindications to the fact that my aleph is fed with 27.5 / 0 / 27.5 VDC?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this is my preamplifier ALEPH P1.7, which mate with the amplifier 30 ALEPH

Click the image to open in full size.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Black version for a friend

Click the image to open in full size.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by vivanco; 26th April 2012 at 10:17 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 10:09 AM   #117
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
nothing to worry about , except heatsink temp
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa... by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 10:37 AM   #118
vivanco is offline vivanco  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
nothing to worry about , except heatsink temp

I understand ....i you ask, I can feel comfortable because I listened to my aleph for about 5 hours,,,the dissipation was constant? (I plan to measure the temperature at the next opportunity), that you could hold your hand on them only for about 7-8 seconds.

thanks ZEN
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 02:48 PM   #119
gadut is offline gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
gadut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
@vivanco

I think that your heatsink is too small for alpeh30, my friend use the same casing for mini aleph, and it's hot. Just wondering the temp on yours
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 08:12 AM   #120
vivanco is offline vivanco  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadut View Post
@vivanco

I think that your heatsink is too small for alpeh30, my friend use the same casing for mini aleph, and it's hot. Just wondering the temp on yours
it seems very strange that you say, because I have also created a mini aleph that sounds very very good and, as you can see from this photo,
Click the image to open in full size.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Click the image to open in full size.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I used a chassis HIFI2000, namely the heavy model dissipating unit 3, which has cooling fins 11.8 "x 4.72" x 1.57 ", however, the cooling fins are hot (not boiling) in the area where the mosfets are mounted, while the edges are barely lukewarm, so I wonder how it is possible that the mini aleph your friend produces a warmth that is the limit of endurance of the cooling fins mounted on the chassis that I've shown before, whereas are 15 "x 6.3" x 1.26 "??


note, my mini aleph is powered with 18/0/18 VDC

Last edited by vivanco; 27th April 2012 at 08:15 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brian GT Aleph and PS boards mattattnet Swap Meet 2 17th September 2011 03:10 AM
Axials for C1/C2 on SSE? dr0ss Tubelab 5 28th August 2010 09:50 AM
Aleph 5 with Brian GT boards. (help) edoirt Pass Labs 11 31st July 2006 06:15 PM
C1 and C2 in BoSoZ ruangrit Pass Labs 3 29th January 2003 04:06 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:14 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2