Professor Pass's recommendation for cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I also recommend that the cables be long enough to reach from the
source to the destination.

:cool:

oh come on professor Nelson, lets have a real conversation about cables. Your article in that link, is hardly conclusive either way. And it was written a long time ago when there were perhaps less snake oil companies out there, and maybe you have some new insights now?

I was more interested in the cables between cd and amp by the way. As folks here are scientists in the sense that we like to know how things work and why things are the way they are, we ought to demand a better explanation for why people should spend thousands of dollars on cables than ''if you can afford it, why not?'' or ''who am I to argue with what you hear?''.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Here are the most important criteria for cables -

1. Are they long enough?
2. Do they have the proper connectors?
3. Are they free from open or short circuits?

Everything other than that is bonus. :) :) :)

I'm not saying that there are no differences in cables - but it is my opinion that much more results can be found pursuing gains in other parts of the audio system. Particularly transducers and active components.

Here are the most important criteria for cables -

1. Are they long enough?
2. Do they have the proper connectors?
3. Are they free from open or short circuits?

Everything other than that is bonus. :) :) :)

I'm not saying that there are no differences in cables - but it is my opinion that much more results can be found pursuing gains in other parts of the audio system. Particularly transducers and active components.

I'll reiterate:

Where does one place the .1uF and the 5ohm loads NP mentions in his article?

Between the + post and the cable? Between the + and - speaker posts?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
ZM - Perhaps they were reverent?

:goodbad: :goodbad: :goodbad:

Being a multi million business, I wouldn't expect anyone to have the nerve to come out and expose the truth about audio cables.

I don't think it's a "truth" problem, but rather that if Papa comes out and says anything, it can be construed as an endorsement, and that has the possibility of ruffling feathers. Also, cables are a very high-margin item and usually a large part of a high-end boutique's profit. So it's easier to stay mum on the subject.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.