F5X -- the EUVL Approach - The Build Thread

Dave,

The basic circuit and hence the description of the protection board has not changed.
There was one PCB layout error, which was described in detail and rectified in Batch 2 PCB.
There were also some slight changes in resistor values of the diff pair to ensure proper tripping, taking into account FET tolerances.
This has also been discussed in the pdf document.

As far as I am concerned, all the relay types you had in your list (Omron G6S and American Zettler) are correct.
They only want to be 24V unless you want to wire both channels in series, as John does.
For the speaker relay, you can pretty much choose what you want, as long as they don't consume too much current.
And the (default) automotive relays are already amongst the most hungry for the purpose.

Patrick

Last edited:
The assembly looks much better now, so I proceeded with the control board.

I assembled everything except Q6 as I am short of one irf610.

The voltages on the board are correct in all the places I could check, but the board does not show sign of life when I push the button. Any hint what I can start checking?

Thanks,

Davide

Joined 2010
Paid Member
F5x - I got the last available

Hi to all of you in this thread,
Today I received from Mark the tracing number for the shipping of my F5X :D.
First of all a big THANKS to Mark and Patrick to support me with the last available GB2 plus the resistor and the Mosfets for the CRegC.
Now is time for me to start collecting all the parts and I would like to ask your some advise for the main transformers. Reading the dedicate GB I am oriented to place the order to Toroidy-Poland but maybe someone has another great supplier in Asia?
I the meantime am reading again the Potential GB where the various connectors have been discussed already trying to understand which one you choose at the end. If I have some doubt I will request your help again.:eek:
Thanks for your help and Best Regards,
Enrico

I think something is not right with my assembly of the control board. The led cycle, but with the sequence off-blue(R47)-red(R46).

The status of the output does not change, they all stay off beside rsr2 that after the delay goes on and stay like that. Jumper do not seem to affect this behaviour.

Any hint?

D.

Any TO220 FET will do, only for switching, and no speed requirements.

And you probably did not make the Batch 1 PCB correction as described by Alexis.
Please take your time to read some of the posts when you were in your passive phase.
A lot of your recent questions would have been answered, and you would have known more.

You are almost there, so no need to rush.

Patrick

Transformer for Asia is VERY difficult.

Mark has his F5X transformer shipped by SumR, and the shipment was as expensive as the Tx.
WK recently had 2 from Toroidy, but only because someone hand carried for him from Germany.

You should try to source in Korea first.
If not, then you are probably stuck with Chinese suppliers.
Unless you also have someone to hand carry from Italy. :)

Patrick

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Transformer for Asia is VERY difficult.

Mark has his F5X transformer shipped by SumR, and the shipment was as expensive as the Tx.
WK recently had 2 from Toroidy, but only because someone hand carried for him from Germany.

You should try to source in Korea first.
If not, then you are probably stuck with Chinese suppliers.
Unless you also have someone to hand carry from Italy. :)

Patrick

Thanks for your replies

I try already In Korea for the F5T V2 but is quite impossible... nobody speak english and the websites are in korean only

China for the F5X?:eek: nhaaaa!:)

I remember that pmchoong have the trafo from Toroidy and I think that is the best solution... quite expensive but very safe.

Regards,
Enrico

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Back Panel

Dear All,
as expected I need your advice again... I found a nice google table where you guys listed the various preference for connector in the back panel.
This is what I understand that you choose at the end and what will fit with the existing holes but I would like to have your confirmation before proceeding with the orders:

- Power switch: NKK Switch JWM11RAA
- Fuse holder: Schurter 0031.1081
- IEC Connector: Furutech IEC FI-10 (back installed)
- Speaker terminals: 10mm holes
- XLR Connectors: NC3FD-LX-HE

Thanks for your time and Regards,
Enrico

Patrick,

I have the R4 board and the new BOM, so I assumed that there was not modification needed. I think it all comes out to my poor work in saldering the ICs. They are kind of challenging. Yesterday I noticed that U13 was not really well done and I tried to fix it, after that the board was sucking more than the 50 mA of limit in SBY and ON mode and it stop working at all. PSU are still OK. I'll try to do some reworking today and see. I am afraid I may need a second board :-(

D.

I think I finally got it right.

I desolder all the ICs and put them back in order: First the status ones and then one relays ICs one by one. Finally the flip flop of the trip. I strongly advice people who are not so skill with the SMD components to do the same.

Enrico, if you want I have a list of the Control board components loaded in mouser that I can forward to you.

And I will never, not even under torture, show my board. It looks like a battlefield. I hope it will be reliable enough.

The board has many measurement points that are helpful for diagnostic. It would be nice to have them documented.

Now the last step ahead: putting everything together.

Thanks,

Davide

@ EUVL

I have nothing to complain: time is my only problem :)

Thanks for your comments on my suggestion regarding relays cutting down the power.
I think I prefer this over the shunt option that will kill the FETS when the protection circuit detects an issue

Last edited: