F5X -- the EUVL Approach - The Build Thread

Dumb question, but should the voltages read 24Vdc across each of the LSP, ISR, RSR & MR on the protection board. I guess I was expecting to see 12Vdc across the ISR & RSR since we have 12V relays.

Hey Greg,

24V from protection board outputs.
12V relays must be wired in series.

I’m troubleshooting my protection circuitry at the moment. My regulator relays and protection board gave up some magic smoke last night :eek:

I cannot find fault with my wiring (see post #717) yet, as a temp solution I may bypass the regulator relays until I have time to investigate further.

J

Thanks John. After looking at the schematic a bit more, this makes sense. You have +24V on the "A side" of the ISR, RSR, LSP, etc which are connected to GND through the FET with the relay driver goes "high". So it appears that my second protection board is healthy.

My question is, how do the 12V relays I have on the muting circuit and regulator boards not simply burn up? I'm pretty sure I did not wire them up in series.

Hey Greg,

24V from protection board outputs.
12V relays must be wired in series.

J

My question is, how do the 12V relays I have on the muting circuit and regulator boards not simply burn up? I'm pretty sure I did not wire them up in series.

Double voltage means qaudruple power dissipation over the coil resistace. That´s not necessarily a reason for a coil to burn if operated at room temperature ambient conditions and having the board as a heat sink.

But better go for series connection of two 12V relays to comply with the 24V provided by the protection board.

Markus

> how do the 12V relays I have on the muting circuit and regulator boards not simply burn up?

Are you sure they are 24V ?
Bear in mind that you will have them continuously on, in an ambient which is about 45~50°C.
It is a different situation to have them on temporarily for a few seconds at 25°C, as Markus said.

If they were 12V I would definitely wire them in series.
But in doing so you are drawing double the current through the same switching FET.
See #717~720.

Patrick

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I may very well remember wrong, but I think it is only the loudspeaker relay driver that output 24V. I seem to remember that there are both positive and negative 12V regs on the board and that the loudspeaker relays see the full differential voltage -12V/+12V while the other relays only see half this (i.e. -12V/gnd or gnd/+12V).

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Nick,
sorry if I jump in thread but very soon I will start to build my F5X and I am just reading all the various documents :).
As per schematic from Patrick attached to the "130223 Protection Board F5X Chpt 1" all the relays refer to +24 so I think that all the relays coils should be 24V.
Enrico

Joined 2006
Paid Member
All the relays that was distributed by me to GB1 subscribers were from Alexis and are 12V. I can't remember if there is/was a rationale for this choice.

Hi Nic,

I think the logic was that if you use 12V relays and wire them in series you will be sure to cut both in an event of a fault of one of the channels ( for the output relays )

The muting relays are are less relevant but you will mute both inputs simultaneously for sure.

I'm also using 12v relays in series.

CV

Last edited:
I can confirm that the published schematics corresponds to the PCB which is connected to +24V at one end and Gnd at the other, through a switching MOSFET.
Alexis is the one who supplies the kit, so you would have to ask him what has been supplied.

IF you do have 12V relays, you can, as a work-around :

1) wire two of them (left & right channel) in series, as discussed in post #767, or
2) wire each of them in series with a resistor which has the same resistance as the 12V relay coil.

Patrick

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have omron G6S 2 marked 12VDC in the kit
and reference to using "automotive relay" in the parts list, which I presume is a 12Vdc type.

In the parts list I see
relay Z117-ND
relay Z2607-ND
What are these? The input "mute" relays?

These are the Mute relays and the Regulator startup relays, the automotive are the output relays, power relay is a Finder relay.

Last edited:
What voltage drives the "mute" relays?

What do the Regulator start up relays look like and what is their part number and what is their drive voltage?

What do the Finder relays look like and what is their part number and what is their drive voltage?

Where is the spec for the Automotive relay? What is it's drive voltage?