F5X -- the EUVL Approach - The Build Thread

It is a VERY nice looking rack indeed. :)

But for those who want to make the most of the vibration isolation function of the transformer cradle, both the amp and the cradle has to sit on the ground, or at least a flat piece of plate which is 2x as heavy as the amp and of a very high stiffness. EXample would be a thick piece of granite. It is basic mechanical engineering. No other way round I am afraid.

But of course you do not have to use that function, and can just bolt the cradle tight to the case.

Patrick

Last edited:
I am quite sad to hear that you have had problems. You and alazeira (I hope I spelled that right) have seemed to have a problem with the package being sent. As your package was sent by regular mail plus postal insurance I do not have a tracing number, I have got in my files lodgement stubs which I am going to use to try to claim insurance the moment I can open the box that contains them (I just moved again). I have most of enough parts here on my desk waiting to resend both your orders. By way of compensation If you would like I will solder one board each here and test it for you, with the modifications already done, and use this task to make an instructional video for all the rest. Otherwise I can send them as is and wait a little time myself. I will send this by courier at my expense, however it will take me about 1 week to solder and test them. Would you find this acceptable.

I am happy to give you my final PCBs as a part of this at no cost to you, if I need more I will do a small run myself.

P.s I know that you ordered two kits and will of course send you annoy her kit with the completed board, also I will send you two free LEDs on top of those in the kit as these are the hardest parts to obtain and you may find them useful as spares.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I think this rack will work out just fine:cool:
Now I just need the F5Xpre and 9018/SEN in matched chassis;)
My first (proudly) made in China set-up:)

No I just need to redecorate my living room where this setup will relocate once complete:eek:

Cheers,

Nic

Great NIc,

Two questions
1 ...what temp at sinks outer and inner ? because it looks like air flow from below amp will be scarse with solid glass so close to bottom.
2 ...how much was it delivered to your door :cool:?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Great NIc,

Two questions
1 ...what temp at sinks outer and inner ? because it looks like air flow from below amp will be scarse with solid glass so close to bottom.
2 ...how much was it delivered to your door :cool:?

I had it running for > 3 hours yesterday evening and the rack does not make the amp run any hotter. Surprisingly the (1.2 cm thick) glass shelves do not heat up noticeably despite the quite intense heat rising from the resistors in the CRC. The way Patrick and co. constructed the amp it basically works like a chimney where convection will draw in fresh air from the buttom. Having a large smooth surface below the amp will only improve this - I think.
The rack is distributed in Italy (and other EU countries) by Azimut Audio.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
...ahh you are using CRC, i was hoping for data on regulator running at full load in those conditions :cool:

I don't have the hardware for the CregC version yet so I cannot comment on this. I have paid for it, I think it may have shipped to me, and I promise to all of you batch 1 subscribers to post when I have it up and running.
I guess it will make the same or possibly more heat, but radiate this better than our "temporary" CRC version.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
>Given the same transformer and the same bias, the dissipation is always the same. How it is distributed and how hot each location gets is another matter.

Never to late to learn for me:)

>But you are right about the chimney effect. Will probably be more effective with the new regulator sinks.

I understand that the new heat-sinks having most of their dissipating area flanking the "chimney" tunnel and with the fins in vertical orientation will quite significantly improve the chimney effect.
As usual - simple, but solid engineering:worship:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
>.....

I understand that the new heat-sinks having most of their dissipating area flanking the "chimney" tunnel and with the fins in vertical orientation will quite significantly improve the chimney effect.
As usual - simple, but solid engineering:worship:

That is why i was questioning you on the space at the bottom between glass and F5X Nic, i reasoned that easier air flow at the bottom would speedup convection air flow upwards...but it seems the case is indeed well designed :D and bottom cut-outs give enough airflow for this space to be uncritical.

Patrick has done a good job....as usual :cool: