F5X -- the EUVL Approach - The Build Thread - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2012, 11:54 AM   #221
heinz1 is offline heinz1  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Patrick.
Old 2nd December 2012, 01:15 PM   #222
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

> There should be eight rectifier diodes per channel listed in the power supply BOM instead of four.

They should also be MUR1520 and not MUR860.
Also the Fischer heat sink is now replaced by custom solution from XEN.
So to be deleted from the BoM.

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 2nd December 2012, 01:32 PM   #223
MarkLai is offline MarkLai  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I put the main relay between the 2 t'formers on the cradle with a thermister.
Mark
Old 2nd December 2012, 04:49 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz1 View Post
Dave,

I know this phenomenon of failing error detection in self-written texts/lists. It's pretty difficult to detect such mistakes.

Just detected:

There should be eight rectifier diodes per channel listed in the power supply BOM instead of four.
Very good, just what we are looking for. If any other issues are caught, please post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
> There should be eight rectifier diodes per channel listed in the power supply BOM instead of four.

Both noted Patrick. Will make the changes with the next revision.

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 2nd December 2012, 06:35 PM   #225
diyAudio Member

I have been asked by PM about the protection board BoM, jumper connections, and test procedures.
As you all known, while the schematics originated from me, the PCB was done by ashaw.
I believe he has already published the B0M here :

Potential group buy for F5X components

I have been promised by email that jumper connections and test procedures will follow in two weeks.
But of course I can only rely on the good will of people involved in this project.
So hopefully you will all be informed in due course.

Patrick
Old 3rd December 2012, 08:30 AM   #226
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As you all known, while the schematics originated from me, the PCB was done by ashaw.
I believe he has already published the B0M here :

Potential group buy for F5X components
You can also find this BOM in posting #661 of the "EUVL approach" thread and interestingly also in the next posting.

But there is something wrong with this BOM. Digikey # 455-4105-1-ND in the third row of the BOM, said to be a "Ceramic 1.0uF Capacitor -1206, 50V, X7R", doesn't exist. In fact, you can do a Google search using this number and nothing will be picked up.

OK. In the corresponding GB for the protection kit Digikey # 399-1249-1-ND is given for this 1uF cap, also in the third position. But this Digikey number refers to a 0.1 uF/50 V cap:

Capacitors | Ceramic Capacitors | DigiKey

ashaw, are you sure that you bought and distributed the correct value?
Old 4th December 2012, 12:05 AM   #227
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Patrick
Which version of the power supply BOM are you referring to? I have the impression that in the version I was considering (the one attached to posting #39 of this thread), these early errors are already corrected. In this BOM, STTH2002D is used as rectifier diode.

Anyway, I noted another discrepancy between the BOM in posting #39 and the schematics shown in posting #706 of the "EUVL approach" thread:

The power supply BOM calls for a 24V Omron relay (G6S-2; Digikey # Z2608-ND) on the regulator boards, whereas 12V relays are depicted in the schematics. Although the relay coils are attached to a 24V line on the protection board, use of the 12V version seems appropriate since they are hooked up in series and not in parallel.

In accordance with this, ashaw has ordered the 12V version of G6S-2 (Digikey # Z2607-ND) in his GB.
Old 4th December 2012, 03:08 AM   #228
diyAudio Member

STTH2002D is what I use. MUR1520 is equivalent.

You can use both 12V and 24V relays, depending on what you can get.
The protection board has 24V supply for the replays.
But I personally like the relays to switch on and off simultaneously.
As such I wire the relays of the left and right channel in series, so 2x12V = 24V.
But you can also use 24V relays and wire them in parallel.

So the 12V relays in Alexis BoM is not a mistake.
Just inconsistency when multiple people are working on the same thing over a long period of time.
(I shall never do a project this way again.)

Technically there is no real difference.
Just personally preferences.

Patrick
Old 9th December 2012, 09:32 AM   #229
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Ok. I finally found the components and time to finish the amp boards
I did not encounter any problems except for an initial error in not mounting the cascode jumpers with the end result of no current flowing.
I measured the front end bias and get 4.4 mA +/- 1.5% for the 8 measurement points. I will have to see where this fall within the traces for my 170/74 devices, but I think I can be reasonably satisfied with the tolerance.

I would have liked to play with the output device biasing, but I don't have any MOSFETs to play with yet (they are still with Gerhard) so that will have to wait a bit more.

I have a few questions:
can I install the mute board without having to worry (for the moment) about powering it. I.e. is it muted or un-muted when not powered?

For the control board more people have asked me about if the HJ4002 chips (supplied) are equivalent to the 74HC4002 (in the BOM). Personally I have assumed so and have already soldered these in...
A comment from ashaw would be very welcome.....

I still have to sort out the distribution issue I have had with the small parts. I will make sure everybody will have what they need and paid for. It is not really very urgent as the parts in question are mostly for the PSU regulator boards. These regulator boards are however of no use right now as we don't have the heat-sinks for them. Any plans for these Patrick? Personally I would like to place an order for these.

Cheers,

Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzfish View Post
This is done before we install the output devices. We will be measuring the voltage drop across the 11 ohm resistors (the parallel combination of the three resistors that make up R18, R19, R24, or R25) to verify that the front end is working properly and that it is reasonably balanced. Turn on the previously adjusted power supplies to the board. Assuming everything is good there should be no magic smoke and the supplies should not be folding back in CC mode. Measure and note the voltage across resistor R18A, R19A, R24A, and R25A. This voltage divided by 11 is equal to the current flowing through that leg of the front end. This current should fall somewhere within the curve when you matched the J74/K170 sets with the multi-point method described earlier. If everything is working well each measurement will also be very close. If they are grossly different, disconnect power and recheck everything.
Old 9th December 2012, 09:41 AM   #230
diyAudio Member

> is it muted or un-muted when not powered?

As with all properly designed protection circuits, the passive state (no power) is the safe state.
i.e. muted.

Protection board you need to ask Alexis.

For the regulator, I am still hoping the Uwe will test the regulators. He has all components.
However if you also volunteer to test, and soon, contact WK to arrange a set of mechanical hardware to be sent to you.
Best to contact him by email.

Patrick

Hide this!Advertise here!