Biamping and active crossover questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been thinking about how to setup my system for biamping. One obvious (or perhaps not so obvious) question was how to configure it. Making the stuff yourself gives you so much freedom (e.g. the option of building a preamp without source selection).

So, what is the best equipment sequence when bi-amping with an electronic crossover? Normally, I guess you would use the following setup:

source
–> preamp (incl. source selection and main volume control)
–> active crossover with individual attentuation for high and low outputs
–> high out –> power amp –> mid/tweeter
–> low out –> power amp –> woofer

Now, if the poweramps are F4's, not only must the preamp be able to provide enough gain, but the crossover must also be able to handle the higher input voltage.
I have been unable to find any information concerning max input voltage for say the B4 and B5.
Q1. What is the max input voltage for a B4 of B5?

An alternative setup would be:
source
–> B1 (incl. source selection and main volume control)
–> active crossover without attenuation
–> high out –> preamp with gain and volume control –> power amp –> mid/tweeter
–> low out –> preamp with gain and volume control –> power amp –> woofer

If I do not need any gain (in case I have a poweramp with a lot of gain or sensitive speakers) I could remove one (or both) preamps, or replace with B1's. I could also choose two different preamps for high and low.
Q2. Would this work?
Q3. Would it be better than the first option?

Thanks,

Albert

hmm well its still an option, but i appreciate its not ideal, if I had hung onto a precious analogue source i wouldnt want to then run it into an ADC in the front end either. though personally i feel hirez digital has recently overtaken analogue, i know and respect that not everyone feels that way. sorry i dont have enough experience with analogue active XO to advise. good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.