Aleph L vs Aleph P vs BOSOZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I agree Moe, (i'm building the BoSoZ too)

Vince, if you want to do some tweaking you could always "X" the BoSoZ. (search for Henrik on this forum and you'll find the schematic)

Good luck with building...

:bulb: ps watch out for the size of heatsinks in the power supply. If you use the power board, the space on it is too small. My heatsinks reach allmost boiling temperatures :eek:

Grtz,
Nick

My BZLS (or BOSOZ) PCB is on the way. Can anyone who has built one share how you use your level control? The original design can use either on the input side or on the output side!

One diyer told me he put on both input and output, but he did not see any benefit with it and suggest me use the input side. Any thought of this?

Also, do I really need to use the expensive 4 decks attenuator (like the DACT CT2-4) for a balanced stereo output. What's the cheaper solution, yet provide reasonable good sound?

Thanks

Thomas

tomchaoda said:
My BZLS (or BOSOZ) PCB is on the way. Can anyone who has built one share how you use your level control? The original design can use either on the input side or on the output side!

One diyer told me he put on both input and output, but he did not see any benefit with it and suggest me use the input side. Any thought of this?

Also, do I really need to use the expensive 4 decks attenuator (like the DACT CT2-4) for a balanced stereo output. What's the cheaper solution, yet provide reasonable good sound?

Thanks

Thomas
Nelson prefers the pot on the output side .A solution would be to get two Alps blue velvet and rig them up with a gear link.Cheaper than the 200usd dact.I think a member posted some pictures here of a set up like that.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
A simple sollution?

Gear - links...getting too advanced.

There should be better/easier ways to lower the gain.

A pot. at the output is ok, but still I think the BoSoZ has too much gain, and the output pot. makes it somewhat system dependable.
(needs a high input-impedance power-amp; ZapPulse is a no-no).
I have read reports that lowering it too much w. R-15 also affects sound quality.

Other sollutions?

Arne K

Try this:

Put a pot at the input to adjust the level of the incoming signal such that the output level stays in the 'sweet spot' (lowest distortion; iirc this was about 1v p-p output).

Then put a lower valued pot (5k or so) at the output to adjust the volume, lower the noise, etc.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I was thinking...

about the fixed voltage divider myself, but can someone suggest a good start-value?

And what will the influence be on input/output impedance?
(Looking for a input imp. 10k+, and output less than 1k, and a gain-fig. less than 12dB).

Arne K

Hi Vince,
the BOSOZ is a very good preamp with pleny of room for improvement, namely X, full dual mono, CCS, superregs (all coming up soon for mine) and that is going to keep you happy, and busy for a long time.
If you bought the PCB from old colony be gentle, the traces are rather flimsy and they are a one time solder pretty much. Try to increase all the heatsinks and solder the 750 ohms resistors away from the pcb as they get HOT.

I would play with the gain and pots before boxing everything up. You'll probably find that the four dec stepped attenuator is a more pricy but convenient solution, let's face it, unless you like playing with knobs and continuoulsy adjusting levels all over the place you need to limit yourself to one knob.

I have two pots and since they are not perfect, I have to play with levels to get the right image from the speakers everytime I want to hear a song louder.
I am soon going with the remote control unit and a 0.1% resistor ladder. ;)

balanced volume control

Hi,

since I´m also thinking of building an X-BOSOZ I had a look at the different options for a balanced (output) volume control.

The most obvious choise would be a ladder configuration with a 4 deck elma 24 step selector. This is quite expensive and very big!
Then I found another sollution on the Borbely homepage, a balance ladder output control wich by design is perfectly balanced. It is here:
http://www.borbelyaudio.com/index8.htm

It´s much simpler and you only need a normal two deck switch.

I think it is perfectly suited for the BOSOZ.

william

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.