Aleph 1.2 vs Aleph 2?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know there has been lots of discussion on the various Alephs.

Here's my dilemma:

I was planning on building a pair of 1.2's. I already have the metal and most of the parts for the project. But, now I'm wondering if it wouldn't make more sense to build an Aleph 2 in the same chassis using a large transformer, possibly additional fets and really crank the bias since the chassis will be able to dissipate much more heat than a standard Aleph 2 chassis...

I've read repeatedly that higher bias sounds better. The question that comes to mind - is there a point of diminishing return?

Which is better, high output wattage or much higher bias?

Opinions?

The load will be a pair of Apogees...

Thanks,

Apogee and Aleph's

You need the current for you’re the Apogee speakers. I use to own a pair of one ohm Scintilla's, that speaker would eat the output of my Threshold amps, so I got a Krell it had more current capability, which worked fine with that load.

Therefore, I would go with the amp that has the most current capability and that is the Aleph 1.2. Having said that, I believe if you lower the source resistors to 1 ohm instead 1.5 that would lower the output impedance of the amp making it an easer to drive the load. Also, should consider look at lowering the value of all those .47 ohm output resistors that are in series with the speakers. Making these changes might help am Aleph 2 work with the Apogee speakers. Of course this all depend on which Apogee speakers you have, they all like high current amps.

So my Aleph build is in the same state as yours, however I no longer have my Apogee speakers.

Maybe Nelson might respond to the changes in the output stage
of the Aleph.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.