F5 Turbo Builders Thread

These photos were taken at the time of build and all measured well and stable. I did run on the bench to .5v bias which as you can see is drawing 2.3amps per rail this is at 32vdc as I remember:- just to see.

Square wave was good too..1v input at 10k

I was very happy and ended running the amp at 250mv of bias well below a recommended 300mv....by members.

Doesn't the instruction say to set bias with the amp closed in order to get the proper temperature equilibrium?

Doesn't the instruction say to set bias with the amp closed in order to get the proper temperature equilibrium?

Yes..very important. Lid on. The photo was only to show my build and test of the circuits, not the final setup...

I would start and set the bias to 100mv, drop the lid and leave for 1 hour then check bias and offset again and re adjust bias to 150mv drop the lid and leave again for an hour.

After this time the temp is rising on the sinks and the bias is rising with it...possibly pushing 200mv. Re adjust bias to 225mv and lid back on leave for 15-30mins re check bias 'may be' over 250mv, so wind back the bias to below 250mv say 225mv, again lid back on and wait again, re adjust until a 'steady state' of 250mv bias and near 0mv offset as possible. I can normally get within 1.0mv offset. which is very good...

Last edited:
..............with some off-board bridge rectifiers:

Rectifiers are somewhat noisy, so I like having them as far away from the input signals as possible. (See the insides of a production F5.) Having them bolt to the chassis bottom also keeps them much cooler..............
Keep the charging circuit from transformer secondary through rectifiers to main smoothing capacitors SHORT and COMPACT. Minimise LOOP AREA to reduce interference emitted to other circuits.