F5 Turbo Builders Thread

Advantage i200
got nice features, like remote adjustable level on all inputs seperately
and you can write your own names on all input sources

unfortunately...it does not work without the remote control, which ofcourse wears out, and is stupidly expencive
or maybe it has develloped yet another 'failure'

maybe its at the end
I also have the matching CD player
so its a dilemma

Sell the CD player while you can. You can do better with a Mac Mini and a Ayre QB9 (SE or Balanced out).
Gut the amp and make a pretty F5T balanced in its place.

Rush

Attachments

• $T2eC16ZHJF8E9nnC8HBKBQITKpN2(g~~60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16ZHJF8E9nnC8HBKBQITKpN2(g~~60_57.JPG
    302.8 KB · Views: 584
Ok, yes will add fuses on rails as well as primary.
My guess here is that as soon as there's a fault those will blow as amp will be drawing too much current.

This sounds like good protection, perhaps DC would go to the speakers for a tiny fraction of a second, or fuse may blow before that.

I don't expect my F5T to fail but just incase.

what did you mean by a crowbar AndrewT ? thanks

Last edited:
The BIG problem with conventional mechanical relays, is that when the isolator is REALLY needed, the relay contacts can arc and/or weld and not achieve the open circuit that the speaker requires.
One needs to check the DC rated breaking capacity. It is usually very much lower than the AC rated breaking capacity. And it is worse for inductive loads, i.e. speakers.

Read the Thread about SS relays, Mooly ?

Yes, I remember reading you saying this on another post somewhere.

Thanks Im thinking of going this way with good relays OR just putting appropriate fuses on the secondary AC or after Caps DC ?

Im Presuming with the right fuses, they would blow fairly fast and the speaker may see DC for a second or two.

Atleast fuses are some form of protection without having to worry about sound quality issues.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Two questions:
- When I power up my new F5Turbo v2 it consumes around 300 Watt total and after an hour or so they stabilize around 350 Watt ( that is the bias I set them to when they were hot). Is this a too big difference ?
The R11 and R12 resistors which are in series with the NTCs are already lowered to 1k21 instead of 2k2. Should I lower them further or even short them?

- One transformer starts sometimes humming for a few seconds, or a minute and then the hum dissapears slowly. With a cold and warm amp, very unpredictable... The amps bias and powerconsumption does not change when humming.
I noticed this behaviour already testing the transformers without load.
What is the reason of this? What can be done?

Walter

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Transformer Rating

When building the v3, it's recommended to use a transformer with twice the rated VA. I have two Antek AS-4218 rated at 400v or approx. 11A each.
With secondaries in serial for 36v, will the secondaries deliver half the current?

Will the transfos be enough for mono block v3 F5? Would 5-6 amps be enough to drive 1 channel to 100w? :confused:

Thanks,

Vince

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Your power consumption seems normal.

The important question is what is your measured cold bias and what does it change into when it's warm?

Hi 6L6,

I measured cold exact 0.2 volts over the 0,1 Ohm resistor in each PSU rail.
So cold 2.0 Ampere = 1.0 Ampere per MOSFET.
Over the P channel 0.22 Ohm sourceresistors I measured 0.217 V and 0.212 Volt, so that's indeed around 1 Ampere / MOSFET.

When the Amp is hot, I measure 0.252 Volts over the 0.1 Ohm PSU resistor, so my beloved 2.5 A per rail. The 0.268 V and 0.262 Volts over the sourceresistors confirm this. Around 1,25 Amp / MOSFET.

So that's what the bias changes from 20 degrees Celsius to 52 degrees Celsius.
Is that too much?