F5 Turbo Builders Thread

OK so I didn't build it , but thanks to the extreme generosity of a fellow member I have been listening to this for a few hours. Fairchild outputs. I simply put the boards in place of my f5 boards, set the bias and sat back to listen. WOW... At first I had the bias set very conservatively, but at .5 amp per device this thing really sings. As the name implies it sounds like my f5 only on steroids. I will be adding the diodes to this build tomorrow and will report any difference. As it stands, after running a few hours, the output fets seem to have settled at 56c and the sinks are 48c. I attached some pics...don't laugh..
Evan

55 47

Is the sound better with the diodes ...?

aha. so so 4*0.5A pr sink?
2*22V *2= 88W pr sink. the reason i ask is that i'm going to use those sinks for F5turbo v3 mono's. 2 pr side.
my numbers are 51V rails. 2.5A bias. so 51*2.5*2=255W dissipation pr Block/4sinks= 63.5W. it looks like it can run Nice and cool. heck. i have to up the bias:D:D

I also have 8 10"pieces coming to build a pair of monoblocks.
The set up pictured is temporary, and will probably drop a few degrees when I put the chassis together and get the sinks off the piece of plywood there sitting on.
I'm also not against thermostatically controlled fans sitting on the heatsinks.

F5T case

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a little guidance. I just got my F5T kit from Buzzforb and I'm looking for a case. I'm working in China and I found this case and wanted to make sure it's suitable. Being American and mathematically challenged doesn't help.:confused: It is also a bit confusing using Google translate to find things. It seems to me this one should be fine?

There are three heat-sinks per side which are 16cm wide, 23cm tall and 6cm thick. I was hoping to run the F5T at or around 50 watts. See pics. Your guidance would be appreciated

Attachments

• F5Tcase.jpg
    F5Tcase.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 541
  • F5ta.jpg
    F5ta.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 526
  • F5tb.jpg
    F5tb.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 516
  • F5tc.jpg
    F5tc.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 518
Thanks Henry. I will use a spreader plate to allow for heat distribution. I'm not sure if the seller would understand what I'm asking, if I asked for heat sink specification. He would probably give me the size again?

It's bigger than the 5U case so I thought it should work. The sinks combine to be 480mm deep and 230mm high. They are also thicker than the 5U 40mm sinks, they are 60mm.

The case is also much heavier. 23.5kg compared to 15kg.

It is about $200 shipped. I wanted to make sure though.

Last edited:
The fins are really thick for their length so the whole fin will get nice and hot. Pity they did not take advantage of that thick root and make the fins 70 to 80mm long.
Using 3 separate sinks requires you to ensure the whole backplate of each sink runs at roughly the same temperature. 25mm by 10mm copper bar bolted along the width of the sinks, one just above the F5 and one just below the F5, i.e. nearest the hottest part of the sink next to the devices. 2m of copper bar would do for all six sinks.

Thanks Andrew.

I have found some stores that sell only heat sinks. I'm not sure if they have something more suitable or not? I will also inquire about having some made with longer fins. Here in China everything is possible.

I found flat copper bar on taobao. I will need someone to help me look through them and find something suitable. I assume that if it's wider than 25mm it would be ok? I found some that was 50mm. Anyway I will keep looking.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Advantage i200, Bladelius design
got nice features, like remote adjustable level on all inputs seperately
and you can write your own names on all input sources

unfortunately...it does not work without the remote control, which ofcourse wears out, and is stupidly expencive
or maybe it has develloped yet another 'failure'

maybe its at the end
I also have the matching CD player
so its a dilemma