F5 Turbo Builders Thread

F5 Jfet

Hi

I should have said that I'm building this amp using point to point wiring.

Diagram attached, showing JFET Q3 and Q4

Attachments

• Circuit diagram F5 with notes FEB 2013.jpg
    Circuit diagram F5 with notes FEB 2013.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 619
F5 Jfet connections

Hi all

Thanks for your replies

Diagram shows Q3, Gate and Source joined to thermistor, TH1

Now seeing the Aleph 3 picture (most impressed with soldering skills!) confirms I have wired it up correctly. picture shows my limited soldering skills.

Wire is 1.25mm silver plated copper.

Plan is now to solder the 3 pins/wires standing up to the jfets which are boldted already to the Conrad heatsinks

Attachments

• _DSC0272.jpg
    _DSC0272.jpg
    786.7 KB · Views: 558
  • _DSC0274.jpg
    _DSC0274.jpg
    735.9 KB · Views: 527
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Steve, if you are doing this point to point the *only* connection to the gate of the FET (Q3 OR Q4) is the gate resistor (R13 OR R14).

The source of the FET connects to the source resistor (R7/R8) which also serves as the sensing for thermal (TH1/2) and the main current limiters (R15/16).

Short-circuiting the gate and source will lead to output transistor forever staying in cut-off, and looking at your board indicates you have done just that. Also, one of the output devices has the gate and source flipped over. Not sure which one, but the pins on both the N-type and P-type are identical pinout!

Last edited:
Hi All

Have made the correction now to Jfet wiring. Pictures attached. Also inc a picture of the underside of the PSU. Have used 2.0mm silver-plated copper wire. The blue and black flex wires hanging of of the audio boards are for test purposes only.

Attachments

• _DSC0279.jpg
    _DSC0279.jpg
    729.1 KB · Views: 652
  • P1070225.jpg
    P1070225.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 543
  • _DSC0280.jpg
    _DSC0280.jpg
    984.3 KB · Views: 541
If you adopt the dual purpose soft start and slow charge by inserting a resistance in the primary then you must use a long time delay.

If you adopt that long time delay then the consequence is resistor overheating.
But the basic problem is that a primary resistance is not effective in limiting the secondary current.

If one adopts a combination of high resistance Power NTCs to avoid the resistor overheat risk, then you will find that the secondary current limiting is even less effective, due to the large reduction in resistance of the now hotter NTCs.

It seems that my message is not getting through.
Would you all start thinking and if necessary measure the effectiveness of your slow charge proposals and report here to prove me wrong. I am sure there are many who would love that outcome and an apology from me for misleading the whole community.
There's the challenge. Prove that added resistance in the Primary is effective in limiting the charging current of the capacitors in the secondary circuit.

I have a lot of amps over here and have used soft starts consisting of NTCs inline with the primary then switched out after a delay. A couple CL-60's, 70's or 80's (10-46 ohms each).

When the relay switches out the NTCs to connect the primary directly to the AC line you can hear the inrush "booooing" into your amp. Increasing the primary resistance and increasing the delay don't do very much. Its hard to measure with a DMM because the DMM cannot lock on so good so a little tricky to see what is going on.

I can confirm what Andrew is saying, the technique of putting resistance before the primary does not work so great. Maybe it would if you really had a large amount of resistance but I have never tried anything much over 100 ohms.

That said, I've not blown any fuses with my amps so while its not perfect it seems to be doing ok.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Zen Mod, F5 testing process

Hello

About to turn on the amp for the first time. I have already tested the PSU which gives me 35v.
Can anyone please explain to me in layman terms what 'IQ' means in this context? Is this the low voltage across R7 and R8?

I understand the principles of 'offset' between PSU and speaker out.