F5 Turbo Builders Thread

I don't have any audible hum even if I place my ear 1" close to speaker driver.

I have done like below, please note I implemented discrete rectifier board. You can replace it with standard bridge rectifier.
Power Supply Connections:

[picture are not in scale, just image representation for understanding.]

Mains to Rectifier:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Rectifier to Filter Board with Ground Isolator:
Earth ground must be connected nearest point in chassis where PS ground will connect through isolator explained below.

f5tpsfilter.jpg

Ground Isolator to be built for each channel using Bridge Rectifier block and black NTC:
There are NO wires shorted on crossing also with mounting bolts. Please see actual construction - 1. Graphics 2. Actual Construction Top View, 3. Side view.
Please solder in pins properly, not shown in below picture.
f5tpsgndiso.jpg

@Blink_PT: One more layout difference I found that your PCB is at same level of transformer. I tried to keep input sections and input cables away from mains and secondary wires of transformer.please see it here.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
in your case situation is much simpler - you have two monoblocks , sharing one case and mains switch/fuse/cable

in case of boyz using common PSU for both channels - situation is trickier , often having different complications (or at least amount of it ) in different builds

whatever - trick with "decoupling" one gnd input signal route with resistor and/or joining central grounds of two channels via direct bridge - is most often working

those are old and ancient tricks , I can't even remember where I saw that for first time

Transformer question... I'm planning to buy transformers from Toroidy. They offered me a price for a normal transformer and an audio grade transformer.
This is what they write about the audio grader transformer:

In audio grade, noiseless transformer price You'll get transformer wound on high inductive, selected and measured core. Core and all the windings will be impregnated. Transformer will also has electric and electromagnetic shields, epoxy filled interior and mounting pads in price.
I used to buy normal transformers for my amps. Never had any complaints about them. So I was wondering if there is any benefit in using "audio-grade" transformers. Is it, soundwise, a big difference?

Transformer question... I'm planning to buy transformers from Toroidy. They offered me a price for a normal transformer and an audio grade transformer.
This is what they write about the audio grader transformer:

I used to buy normal transformers for my amps. Never had any complaints about them. So I was wondering if there is any benefit in using "audio-grade" transformers. Is it, soundwise, a big difference?

This image is a Toroidy, will come a week ago. It came without magnetic shielding because I asked (increased another 2-3 cm in diameter). It has a small mechanical noise by opening the lid of the box.

Comes with electrical protection, grounding wire, and the center with expoxi and mounting flanges.

You should ask with flexible connections, but comes standard with solid core wire.

Attachments

• 20130220_174939.jpg
    20130220_174939.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 508
Last edited: