F5 Turbo Builders Thread

Hi all,
I'm building an f5t v2, and in the process of testing i managed to fry the fairchilds....Now I'm waiting for replacements. Looking to my stuff this morning i found a quad of 2SK1530 2SK201 toshibas. I read somewhere,don't remember where though, that these thingies could replace the fairchilds.

So, just out of curiocity, has anybody tried these?Any major differences in sound?
I'm thinking, since, i'm waiting and have nothing to do, try them. Any thoughts on what i should change on the boards? I've everything set for fairchilds at the moment.

I would appreciate any recommendations/ideas.

Hi all,
I'm building an f5t v2, and in the process of testing i managed to fry the fairchilds....Now I'm waiting for replacements. Looking to my stuff this morning i found a quad of 2SK1530 2SK201 toshibas. I read somewhere,don't remember where though, that these thingies could replace the fairchilds.

So, just out of curiocity, has anybody tried these?Any major differences in sound?
I'm thinking, since, i'm waiting and have nothing to do, try them. Any thoughts on what i should change on the boards? I've everything set for fairchilds at the moment.

I would appreciate any recommendations/ideas.

Nelson Pass discusses the 2SK1530/2SJ201 in the original F5T article. I used them in one of my original F5 and they sound great.
Later in the F5T thread Nelson mentioned 2SK1529/2SJ200 as having less input capacitance and is a good option as well for the F5T. Neither of these will pass the current of the Fairchild devises. All of these are no longer in production.

Rush

THey will work great and will plug directly in with little effect. Just look up their datasheet and try to get an idea of the VGs needed for the bias you want. Before plugging them in, set your pots below that point about 25%-50%. You have tested you FE and all is good. As long as you mount and isolate them correctly, you should be able to listen within the day.

the rating of voltage at 300-400mV across source resistors is for the fairchilds. Having to be more conservative with the toshibas, i'm thinking of 200-250mV across the R source.
I can't find a clear enough datasheet for the toshibas to take a look at graphs.

BTW did you manage to send the package?