F5 Turbo Builders Thread

neither am I ... :D

You would be surprised at how much of a difference it makes , regardless of your speakers, a big un , tends to do big very well , look at NP, production amplifiers for guidance, everyone i have ever owned or saw had more outputs than sand ... :)

:wave2s:

I agrre with Wayne on this one. Unless you got old school, lighteight, HE drivers, the extra grunt makes a difference. Example. JBL 2226H (600W motor)vs Altec 515(200W motor). Similar specs(not VAS or cone weight), but very different results from same power level.

speaking of that (and being in jeopardy of going off topic :rofl: ) it's always confusingly amusing , when ppl are amusingly confusing efficiency ..... and sensitivity ;

not speaking about you and your setup , even if you were in few steps close to making same mistake .... just differentiate power needs when using old school 96db/W/m driver vs. modern 96db/W/m driver

old one is having 60W capacity vs. new one having 250W capacity

much lighter and agile moving ansamble vs. not so light and not so agile .....

yukyuk

edit: luckily - there are still few mnfctrrs , making new old school drivers

lots of outputs. yes. but no one have that amount of bias VS rail voltage:)
5.52A bias makes it good for over 480W class A power at 8ohm. but it is voltage limited at around 50W at 8ohm with +/-32V rails.

And what's wrong with <480W Class A power???:drool:

LOL, I was just finishing the equation from ZM. Someday I may understand what he says. I never said I was going to build it! :usd:
I'm just trying to figure out what I want to build when I get some boards and Antek re-opens. I don't know squat and freely admit it. :p Just dreaming perhaps, but a F5T w/o diodes just might be the ticket to drive Seas Thors. 4Ohm
Not interested in SPL so much as low-mid volume grunt.
Glad to entertain ideas.
Ron

well. i can think of a copple of things. wallet heat mass and weight for starter:D
and to acctualy get 480W output you need some high voltage. about +/-90V.
2*90V*5.52A=994W dissipation pr ch at idle. and this is minimum:D

if you want to get say 100W class A at 4ohm, you need about 3.6A bias. and around +/-32V rails(fully loaded)