F5 Turbo Builders Thread

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Steve - Wonderful! If your PSU is good you have a much better chance of a successful project.

(And although that sounds obvious, many people just build the whole amp and fire it up in one go, without testing to see if the PSU is operating properly...)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You will have to cascode the front end. (I.E., the v3)

You will have to use 50v caps.

You will need to watch the total dissipation of the outputs and bias accordingly.

There is nothing insurmountable about it, depending on which version you are planning.

But it's always less headache to buy and use the proper transformer.

Thanks 6L6

I may try to tweek with your recommendation for 40v configuration somewhat but I'll be safe and buy the reccomended tfo.

I'm using 2 x 18v 300 VA for standard F5 which was implicitly recomended in the F5 article.

Are there any published reccomendations for F5T V1 V2 , V3?

From the F5T article, it states 32 V rails for V1 and V2 but I did not see any mention of V3 reccomendations nor the tfo VA rating.

regards.

Last edited:

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hm... Input jfets are interesting. Do you think the are legit? Maybe I am being paranoiac, but there many rumors out there about fake transistors, opamps etc.

Just for the record: I still think that buying a kit or pcb from e-bay not diyaudio store is not fare for the community (not trying to judge here).

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Why use ehay when Spencer on the forum sells well matched sets at a good price.

Hm... Input jfets are interesting. Do you think the are legit? Maybe I am being paranoiac, but there many rumors out there about fake transistors, opamps etc.

Just for the record: I still think that buying a kit or pcb from e-bay not diyaudio store is not fare for the community (not trying to judge here).

I buy from Spencer and Alweit on epay for the small toshiba jfets. I have not had any trouble with them.

Some guys just like to buy kits of parts.... I was only showing what I found.

If you don't want to buy from E-Bay that's your choice.

The F5 and other designs from Nelson Pass are his copyright which he shares with the DIY Comunity in a very selfless fashion, along with all the help he provides in this forum. He also allows diyaudio to sell the boards and also People making their Own for personal use.
Any other people making boards for sale are not authorised and are infringing his copyright and intellectual property.
Unfortunately these Asian sellers on ebay have no respect for this and keep profiting from other people's hard work.
It is up to each person to take this into account when building stuff, in my opinion the least would be to support the forum and accept Nelson's simple request.