F5 Turbo Builders Thread

try your calculation on the F5 and see if you get 64W dissipation pr ch. (thats the correct number for a F5) and the F5 run on a single 300VA transformer.

AudioSan,

From the F5 manual:

"For this sort of circuit, a 1.3 amp bias means that the amplifier will operate Class A to 2.6 amps of output current. To understand this, imagine a condition where Q3 and Q4 are
idling at 1.3 amps, so that all the current is going from the V+ voltage rail to the V- voltage rail, and none is going through the loudspeaker."

I read that as 2.6 amps (the total bias through all devices) from V+ to V-. That's also the calculation in AndrewT's post.

Are we both incorrect? The numbers agree perfectly with transformer VA = 6-10 Wrms -- actually perfect at 8 x Wrms.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Cascade keeps Jfet drain at ideal V, reduces mr miller, as well as dissipation. In theory, it should always be better. OTOH, it adds another junction. At35v, all that is moot, as I think it is necessary, because you are really pushing dissipation maximums.

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.Do I stick with two pairs of outputs and bias high or try four and bias lower.I guess its try both and see which I prefer.

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.Do I stick with two pairs of outputs and bias high or try four and bias lower.I guess its try both and see which I prefer.

Try v2. Stepping is no problem, but will require bigger PSU and toroid. More pairs means more total Yfs and DF. Also lower bandwidth. Really unnecessary unless you need the power. Main reason I am building up stereo versionis to see if Wayne is right and more equals better sound.

OK, I'm *very* confused.

I can't understand a whole bunch of AndrewT's post. So, I go back to the F5 manual, and try to turn all the pairs into a single pair.

When I look at the F5 manual, I can see where the 62 watt dissipation per channel comes from:

One pair of devices, Rails are +/-24 volts, the Ib = 1.3 per device.

That's either (2 x 1.3A) x 24 or (1.3 X 48) = 62 watts

Two channels gives you 124 VAbias. Sizing the transfomer for twice that gives you 248 VA. A 300 VA is more than enough transformer.

Output power I^2 * R = 2.6 * 2.6 * 8 = 54 Wpeak = 27 Wrms.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's change the bias a little.

One pair of devices, Rails are +/-24 volts, the Ib = 1.5 per device. 3 amp total.

That's either (2 x 1.5A) x 24 or (1.5 X 48) = 72

Two channels gives you 144 VAbias. Sizing the transfomer for twice that gives you 288 VA. A 300 VA is still enough transformer.

Class A Output power I^2 * R = 3 * 3 * 8 = 72 Wpeak = 36 Wrms.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Try 2 pairs of devices, 3 Amp total and 50 volt rails. Ib = 0.75 A per device.

If this was one pair, it would be 1.5 amp each device.

Class A Output power: ( 3 * 3 * 8) = 72 Wpeak = 36 Wrms.

NOTICE THAT THE CLASS A OUTPUT POWER DOES NOT CHANGE, since it is biased to the same current.

Sizing the transformer: That's either (2 x 1.5 A) x 50 or (1.5 X 100) = 150 VA. Double that for 300 VA. Two channels is 600 va.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

4 pairs ( 8 devices ) 6 amp total ( 0.75 amps/device). If it was one pair, it would be 3 amps/device.

Class A output power: ( 6 * 6 * 8 ) = 288 Wpeak = 144 Wrms.

Sizing the transformer: That's either (2 x 3 A) x 50 = 3 x 100 = 300 VA. Double that for 600 VA. Two channels is 1.2 Kva.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Are these numbers reasonable?

bigE those numbers are correct. exept for the last one. the rail voltage is to low to reach 144W at 8ohm. same for number 2:) and as buzzbord said. transformer rating of 3times dissipation is a good way to go. 2 times is minimum. i like 3 times. that gives you more headroom and lower temp in the transformer. but when a transformer reach a certain size, then bigger is not allways better:)