F5 Turbo Builders Thread - Page 78 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2013, 02:52 PM   #771
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

Folks:

While I understand that it would be better to cool the heatsinks themselves instead of focusing on managing the temperature inside of the chassis, I trust that forced air convection inside of the chassis would still benefit an F5T V3. I've been thinking about mounting an 80mm super quiet pc fan to the rear panel of one of the HiFi2000 5U enclosures that diyaudio's store is selling. Is there a reason why this would not be a wise choice?

Regards,
Scott
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:11 PM   #772
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMcGee View Post
Folks:

While I understand that it would be better to cool the heatsinks themselves instead of focusing on managing the temperature inside of the chassis, I trust that forced air convection inside of the chassis would still benefit an F5T V3. I've been thinking about mounting an 80mm super quiet pc fan to the rear panel of one of the HiFi2000 5U enclosures that diyaudio's store is selling. Is there a reason why this would not be a wise choice?

Regards,
Scott
it can not hurt it easier on transformer and caps. but it will not help the fets much.
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:13 PM   #773
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMcGee View Post
Folks:

Regards,
Scott
Can cause an airflow throughout the interior, the rear one meter the air out, a fan lid on the input (on the inside). Or the base on the outside (not seen), if the base with holes (air intake).

For example the fans of SilenX (IXP-64-14 with 92mm) have 14db and 42 CFM, practically no hear.

Use on my PC and dropped his temps + - 20 degrees.
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:17 PM   #774
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink_PT View Post
Can cause an airflow throughout the interior, the rear one meter the air out, a fan lid on the input (on the inside). Or the base on the outside (not seen), if the base with holes (air intake).

For example the fans of SilenX (IXP-64-14 with 92mm) have 14db and 42 CFM, practically no hear.

Use on my PC and dropped his temps + - 20 degrees.
in a PC, all that creates heat is INSIDE the chassis. so thats a whole other ball game. if you had a heatsink outside the PC chassis with all hot part mounted, you would not get much help from a fan in the chassis.
Old 2nd January 2013, 06:29 PM   #775
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
in a PC, all that creates heat is INSIDE the chassis. so thats a whole other ball game. if you had a heatsink outside the PC chassis with all hot part mounted, you would not get much help from a fan in the chassis.
Correct, but I have done experiments with fan and without fan dento F5 and temps are going fall, that's a fact.

Of course the ideal would be cool sinks, but it is complicated, so we can try to cool the heat that causes this, the mosfets, so an air stream always gives a helping hand.

I am thinking of putting aluminum feet fixed in heatsinks, then F5T I'm building will land on a 10mm aluminum plate that will be cooled by two or three fans, almost as gadjets to cool portable pcs...
Old 4th January 2013, 05:11 PM   #776
diyAudio Member

well. no i have all the parts in house. exept 2 bloody resistors i forgot the 47.5Kohm input resistors. o well. i found some 47Kohm in my bind not dale, but heck but have not heard anything from variac regarding testing of the boards. and i think i'm getting the sinks cut tomorrow, so i'll just have to use the prototype boards that i have. regardles of the tiny foults. to night there will be some soldering.
one question for buzzforb. have you tried different cascode voltages?
i'm wondering if i chould go for 16.4V or 20.6V.
Old 4th January 2013, 06:44 PM   #777
diyAudio Member

god damn. where the heck is my J-fets? it seams they went in the trash. grr. good thing i have plenty more
Old 4th January 2013, 07:27 PM   #778
diyAudio Member

one board down. 9 to go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-01-04 20.19.06.jpg (900.0 KB, 322 views)
Old 4th January 2013, 09:22 PM   #779
diyAudio Member

I played around with it some. I am not going to claim to know for sure, but I would think you have to be careful and make sure you don't run out of headroom, causing FE to clip. Half supply is fine, all the way up to standard Jfets dissipation ratings.
Old 4th January 2013, 10:02 PM   #780
diyAudio Member

thats what i was thinking too. so i went for 16.4V
one channel is finnished now. well, exept output fets and diodes.
just hoping i get the sinks cut tomorrow

Hide this!Advertise here!